Front USB ports suddenly stopped working

Hetfield

There is some problem with my font USB ports. All was fine until yesterday when they stopped working. I havent made any hardware change. Installed windows 8 but that was last week.

I connect my Logitech Gamepad, the LED switches on but it doesnt show up in the control panel, works when connected to the rear USB port.

Please help..

You might have to open up your case, trace back the cable, and re-plug it. It could be detached, or the USB controller on the front ports could be fried somehow too.

No, I'm not sure. :p You can check, however it's unlikely that the BIOS just changed on it's own.

Hey Hetfield. Did you power off then power on the system and check the USB ports then?. Just curious as there is a setting in XP where Windows will power down certain USB ports to save power, I've seen it in both desktops and laptops. I'm not sure if Win8 will shutdown some USB ports in the same manner. I used to go into the USB controller section of Device Manager and uncheck the box that would prevent the power down of the USB ports after a while. One thing I have learned with electronics is not to discount anything, especially when it comes to logic circuits, so while I agree that the BIOS is unlikely to change on it's own, it won't hurt to browse around and check it.

Go to device manager, uninstall all USB hub devices. Shut down computer, remove power cable, push the power button a few times, remove CMOS battery, push power. Reconnect everything and hope it reinstalls itself and works.

Back