Future Windows 10 update will reportedly add floating Start Menu and rounded corners

midian182

Staff member
Forward-looking: Do you fear change? Then you might want to look away. Microsoft is reportedly working on a visual overhaul for Windows 10 that’s set for release this October. Dubbed the Sun Valley ‘version 21H2’ update, one of the most notable alterations will be the Start Menu, which is separated from the taskbar and features more rounded corners.

Windows Latest writes that Sun Valley has been in the works since last year and will introduce a “sweeping visual rejuvenation of Windows,” including a new interface that takes full advantage of Microsoft’s Fluent Design and WinUI language.

One of the more subtle changes the update introduces is the rounding of box corners, such as those on static tiles and the Action Center. But the most obvious difference might be the positioning of the Start Menu itself.

Courtesy of Windows Latest

Instead of being attached to the taskbar, the revamped menu will now float above it, leaving a visible gap. Windows Latest has created a mockup (above) of how the change might appear.

Rounded corners and floating menus are something we've seen in preview builds of Windows 10X. The former change is pretty subtle and shouldn’t bother people, though I’m not sure about the latter. The bad news is that if you do prefer the current look, there doesn’t appear to be any options to changes the radius of the rounded corners or revert to non-floating menus.

It’s worth noting that there’s no guarantee these overhauls will be part of the update, and even if they are, expect them to look better than the publication’s mockups.

Testers in the Windows Insider program will likely see the changes as Microsoft rolls them out in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Really?!?!?! This is the best that Microsoft can do? You know, if they had ANY sense they would sponsor a contest to get user suggestions and idea's; then give away free copies of Windows, Office, etc. for those they use. Minimal investment for maximum service to the client ...... what a concept! LOL

Oh boy. Another example of something nobody cares about or asked for. You see this when it comes to gaming as well. Features being added that nobody asks for or cares about instead of fixing bugs and focusing on stability across the board. News flash Micropenis, I can already do everything I need to possibly do in windows already. That's actually been the case.....since forever. So quit adding junk that nobody wants and start fixing your piss poor example of stability that you call Windows 10. Lastly if all you can come up with at the end of the day is rounded corners and stuff you should probably be fired because you suck at creative thinking. Thanks for firing the Windows Testing Team or w/e they were called. What genius made that decision?

Really?!?!?! This is the best that Microsoft can do? You know, if they had ANY sense they would sponsor a contest to get user suggestions and idea's; then give away free copies of Windows, Office, etc. for those they use. Minimal investment for maximum service to the client ...... what a concept! LOL
Oh boy. Another example of something nobody cares about or asked for. You see this when it comes to gaming as well. Features being added that nobody asks for or cares about instead of fixing bugs and focusing on stability across the board. News flash Micropenis, I can already do everything I need to possibly do in windows already. That's actually been the case.....since forever. So quit adding junk that nobody wants and start fixing your piss poor example of stability that you call Windows 10. Lastly if all you can come up with at the end of the day is rounded corners and stuff you should probably be fired because you suck at creative thinking. Thanks for firing the Windows Testing Team or w/e they were called. What genius made that decision?
:rolleyes: Yes, another "fix" for something that no one cares about. It seems that this type of thing is the only thing that M$ is capable of these days - fixing something that is not broken (if they don't break it in the process) - instead of fixing the numerous bugs in Windohs 10. IMO, it is no wonder that M$ is inspiring many people these days to find alternatives.

Good God, M$. Is it not possible for you to roll out anything really meaningful, or an update that doesn't FU half of the computers it is installed on? Seems, to me, anyway, that you have far more to do than roll out meaningless crap.

Windows is atrocious these days. If it launched as a new solution today it would flop big time. And rounded corners isn’t going to save it.

The only reason I use it is to play games that use DX12. As soon as we find a way to overcome that requirement Windows will be exclusively used for work.

I cannot get over how much of a UX dumpster-fire the current start menu/general Windows UI is.

Why do my most used apps appear when I click the search bar and not the start menu? Why do I have to pin them to the start bar so they then appear twice?

What data is used for these top apps? I have opened Uplay once in weeks and yet there it is?

Who is clicking on "Today in history"?

Why are the folders mixed in with the application shortcuts?

Why are there tons of never used apps I did not install as well as what appears to be adverts and crappy games mixed in there, hello Royal Revolt, Disney Magic Kingdoms, Minecraft, Bubble Witch Saga 3 etc etc

What does the options button on the top left do? The same as if I hover my mouse over any of the pictures, document or settings icons. Why is it there then?

The list goes on.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that this is just change for the sake of change? I can't believe some UI designer has been paid 6 figures to put this crap out.
you already get paid 6 for mastering the art of mspaint, so probably 7.

Nice were the days when there of config.sys and autoexec.bat and no windows. probably time to go back to escape all of this...
helllooooo blinking cursor, how are you today ?
C :\>

You do realize that the department that handles Windows' UI / UX is completely different from the department that handles the OS, which is completely different to the department that handles the kernel, which is student than the department that handles bugfixes. In fact, each portion of Windows development, including those above, as well as the shell team, console, registry, first party apps, and countless others, are all headed and developed by different teams.

So you crying about the "instability" of Windows (which I would think that most people would disagree with) in relation to the rounded corners is about like complaining that your paint is fading and blaming the door framers for doing shoddy work on the paint.

I guess what it all boils down to is pick a thing to complain about and stick to the topic at hand.

As others said - Classic Shell with customised Start Button - there are dozens ready-to-use ones available online from NFS through Star Gate to Mortal Kombat and more. Cortana disabled, including on Lock screen. Dark theme with customised solid colours. All taskbar icons visible at all times.

Windows 7 personality with Linux soul:]

But they still can... invent floating menus, rounded corners and other... revolutionary stuff that has nothing to do with GUI friendliness or user convenience. We skip it this "update", then the next one, and the next one, and...

Back