G.Skill launches Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL36 kits with Samsung-made memory chips

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: At least on paper, G.Skill’s new Trident Z5 and Trident Z5 RGB DDR5 memory kits are impressive for the first wave of consumer DDR5 memory. Pricing has yet to be announced, but most manufacturers so far are selling their 32-gigabyte DDR5 kits for around $350, so don’t expect these to be any cheaper.

Yesterday, GeIL launched DDR5-5600 memory kits in anticipation of Intel’s upcoming Alder Lake CPU lineup. Not to be outdone, Taiwanese company G.Skill is also launching DDR5 memory modules of its own in the form of the Trident Z5 and Trident Z5 RGB lineups.

The new memory modules are designed to work with both Intel’s Alder Lake platform as well as AMD’s Zen 4 which is expected to land sometime in 2022. Leaks so far point out to a robust memory controller on Intel’s 12th generations processors that will allow enthusiasts to push DDR5 memory higher than the best DDR4 modules out there.

G.Skill’s new Trident Z5 lineup comes in DDR5-5600, DDR5-6000, and DDR5-6400 variants that feature CL36 timings. But more importantly, the company has equipped the new modules with hand-picked, Samsung-made DDR5 chips to ensure consistent high performance and reliability. G.Skill has also provided a screenshot of a RunMemtestPro 4.1 validation test and CPU-Z running side by side, which shows DDR5-6400 Trident Z5 modules linked to an Alder Lake CPU in a quad channel configuration, with the memory controller running in Gear 2 mode.

If you’re looking to upgrade to the Alder Lake platform and want to pair it with G.Skills’s Trident Z5 memory kits, the company says you’l be able to do so by the end of next month. There’s no info on pricing as of writing, but all Trident Z5 and Trident Z5 RGM memory kits will come in a 32-gigabyte dual channel configuration.

Permalink to story.

$350 for 32GB of DDR5?

Well when I built my last computer years ago, memory prices were sky high and I paid the same for 32 GB of DDR4.

Oh this is hilarious. Wasnt the peanut gallery just waxing poetic about how terrible DDR5 latency was and blah blah blah.

Now we're already seeing DDR5 esq latency over 6000 mhz and teh first DDR5 platform hasnt even launched yet!

That 10 GHz DDR5 must not be far away at this rate.....

My last memory purchase from ComputerUniverse (invoice):
mem.png

That's 64GB of very-very fast memory that performs superbly, according to all benchmarks I threw at it. So that's a very premium 64GB DDR4, for kind of under $350 converted. And I know it performs better than even some DDR5-6400 kits shown out there.

But $350 for 32GB of subpar memory? That's a total rip-off.

Back