g80 is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

Are these cards worth getting right now. I was thinking of upgrading to 7950gx2, I hear there are a lot of problems with dx10 or at least all the bugs arent out yet. From what I read the 7950gx2 isnt too far behind the g80 cards and I wouldnt be suprised if the 9 series cards hit late second quarter

Keep The 7950's

Before My System Had To Be Returned For Repairs It Had The 7950's And They Worked Fine. I Upgraded To The 8800's And Am Having Problems With Cod2 Multiplayer, Screen Freezes. Keep Your Money

A single 8800 series card is up to 80% faster than dual X1950XTXs which were the fastest GPU by a good margin before the G80. G80 slaughters the old cards, even dual 7950GX2s. If you're having problems with your card with one game, that's A) a small price to pay for the massive performance gains over the previous generation, and B) your fault because you need to RMA the card if it isn't working properly.

There is no way I can recommend anything in place of a G80 at this moment unless budget does not allow a G80.

MetalX said:
A single 8800 series card is up to 80% faster than dual X1950XTXs which were the fastest GPU by a good margin before the G80. G80 slaughters the old cards, even dual 7950GX2s. If you're having problems with your card with one game, that's A) a small price to pay for the massive performance gains over the previous generation, and B) your fault because you need to RMA the card if it isn't working properly.

There is no way I can recommend anything in place of a G80 at this moment unless budget does not allow a G80.

most board dont have 16x2 pipelines either for sli, as I seen on many boards they can only run 8x2 for sli mode. So wouldnt it be very dependent on the board?

No, even the 8800GTX doesn't need the 4GB/s bandwidth of 8x PCI-E, let alone the 8GB/s of 16x PCI-E. The 8800GTX would be fine and un-bottlenecked on the AGP bus. The companies pushing new technologies like PCI-E tell us we need the increased bandwidth, but really graphics cards aren't using much more than 1.5-2GB/s bandwidth MAX, for the REALLY high end ones.

So no, there is absolutely no difference between 2x PCI-E x8, and 2x PCI-E x16. And if there is a difference it is no more than 0.5%, something that does not matter in the slightest, and could only be detected by benchmarks, and barely detected at that.

Are you suggesting that if we can afford it, a 320mb 8800gts would be of much higher value than a 256mb x1950 pro?

I think that's exactly what he's saying, so obviously it your performance is more so effected by the card itself then the pci slots that are currently available

I'm not really wondering about having the cards in SLI/Crossfire, just wondering if there is such a huge difference between the 2 cards, given that the 8800gts costs double of the X1950pro.

from googling benchmarks the g80 kill the x1950 pro, only card behind the g80 is the 7950, but by a decent margin

Yes, I am aware that the 8800gts will kill just about any DX9 card out there. The question is the cost, like I mentioned. To pay double for a card, it;d have to perform twice as good for it to be of the same value.

X1950 pro

Codename: RV570
Process: 90 nm
Pixel Shaders: 36
Vertex Shaders: 8
Texture Units: 12
ROPs: 12
Memory Bus: 256-bit
Core Speed MHz: 575
Memory Speed MHz: 690 (1380 effective)

GeForce 8800 GTX

Codename: G80
Process: 90 nm
Universal Shaders: 128
Texture Units: 64
ROPs: 24
Memory Bus: 384-bit
Core Speed MHz: 575
Memory Speed MHz: 900 (1800 effective)

yeah that came from a review, but obviously we know what's better, just need to know to what degree, I'm a Geforce man myself, so...

Well, the 8800GTX performs about 80% better than DUAL X1950XTXs so it's safe to say that an 8800GTS (even the 320MB version) will be about 120% better than a single X1950PRO AT LEAST. Probably more like 160%. Bottom line- Unified Shaders destroy anything else out there. Hell, I bet the 8600GT will be better than an X1950XTX. Maybe even equal to X1950XTX X-Fire

Thats what I needed to know, thanks :D

Why didn't I think of checking tomshardware for this? o.O

All the tech reports that I've read have stated that one 8800 GTX card outperforms two 7950 GT's running in SLI mode. I've been running an XFX 8800 GTX with an AMD X2 5000+ AM2, 2 gigs of Kingston DDR2 (667 mhz oc'd to 725 mhz) since December when I built this rig and haven't had a single problem with the card or its drivers since. It's made a humungous difference in ALL my games, faster frame rates, deeper colors, sharper textures. If, from what reports/reviews that I've read, I see no need for me to purchase another and run two of them in SLI with the performance that I've gotten. Of course, DX10 will be the deciding factor. I refuse to install Vista until at least SP1, or until Creative and NVIDIA iron out their driver problems.

I think I'll get another 7950 gt oc and just run my sli set up, g80's will be down in price by 3rd quarter when the 9 series drop

Right now the 7950GX2 , with 1GB memory pownz all cards PERIOD, under XP OS ,

The 8800GTX with 768MB will pown all cards PERIOD, under Vista along with DX10 engine game, However D3D9 games; the 7950GX2 and 8800GTX will perform the same, and you will not see difference. However with the 1GB of memory the GX2 has, will come in handy to load in high rez texturez in games like Doom 3 , and you will never get a stutter !

Soo basically heres what it comes down to. Do you use XP or Vista

If you use XP, its pointless to get a DX10 card,

If you use Vista, "U need to say asta la vista to uncle billyz new junk OS" then its pointless to get a 7950GX2 cuz it cant do DX10

gl,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back