Galaxy S III Review: Samsung's Worthy New Flagship

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/545-samsung-galaxy-s3/]https://www.techspot.com/review/545-samsung-galaxy-s3/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Looks like Samsung has another winner on its hands. I absolutely cannot wait to pick one up; pebble blue of course.

I have had my S3 here for about 3 weeks in Australia (previously an iphone user) and it is fantastic. Agree with pretty well everything that the reviewer said in his article other than the plastic feel (love it) also, it must be said, this phone confirms the truth of the adage "size does matter" :) David - Melbourne Australia

Aye, I've had mine around 2 weeks now, in marble white or whatever it is. It's the first white phone I've ever owned, and despite early concerns about the glossy feel of it meaning it might slip out of my hands, I'm now getting used to it.

Overall I'm very impressed with it, and the battery is very good considering the way I tend to use my smartphones.

Coming from an iPhone 4 the S3 doesn't feel too big, probably because it's thin and light and less of a bricky shape (which I'm not a fan of).

I really recommend getting some sort of rubber case because otherwise it's like a bar of soap.

The new display does use the much-derided PenTile sub-pixel arrangement, but at these pixel densities, it is hard to see the ill effects of the PenTile matrix.

There actually aren't any ill effects above 230ppi. RGBG renders text just as well as RGB stripe. It only loses resolution on the diagonal. You really take away from the quality of your writing when you just repeat other people's claims that never had any basis to begin with.

[FONT=Helvetica]As with other AMOLED screens, colors on the Galaxy S III's display are very saturated and vibrant - almost to the point of looking cartoonish. When put side-by-side with an HTC One X, the Galaxy S III's colors are not as accurate as the HTC's, and you can notice a bluish cast in white areas on the screen. However, if you never compare the two phones next to each other, the Galaxy S III's display is pretty stunning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica]Actually it's more accurate than an SLCD2 panel. 110% sRGB coverage to compensate for transmission through the glass, and a white point of 6500K. The SLCD2 on the One X doesn't cover the full sRGB gamut. Again, the writers at mobile burn don't know what they're talking about and it's irritating because the reviews aren't up to par with Techspot's high quality PC hardware reviews.[/FONT]

Probably the best Android phone out right now. I wish Samsung used higher quality materials though. [FONT=Helvetica]As an Android Samsung Galaxy S1 owner, I wanted to get the new Sammy but I am ditching Android this fall for iPhone 5 for these reasons:[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]1) Android OS slows down over time to the point where the phone is nowhere near as fast when it was new. It happened with every Android owner I know. All of my friends have left Android because of it to iOS or Windows phone.

2) iPhone has far higher resale value in the US and Canada. $200-300 trade in at places like Amazon or sell it to someone else. In 2 years the resale value of this phone will be $50. That means owning an iPhone over a 2-year-contract is actually cheaper in the US than a comparable Android phone

3) US carriers are notorious for not upgrading the Android OS. I am still stuck with 2.1 on my S1.....Once newer iterations of Jelly Bean and so on launch, this phone is unlikely to get continues Android OS upgrades from US carriers.

4) The exterior components just feel cheap, especially compared to the new iPhone 4 vs. S3 (cheap, glossy plastic)

Overall, if US carriers provide support for 2 years on the latest Android OS, the OS doesn't bring the phone to its knees after 12 months of use and if Android phones start having more premium construction quality, I'll go back.
[/FONT]

@ Guest. Yes, Android phones slow down after a while. When mine does I restart it. Happens about once a month. It really is a terrible inconvenience.

2) $50? If I were to upgrade my 2 year old EVO 4g from sprint they'd give me $150 bill credit for returning my old phone. I'd bet other carriers have similar offers. 0 hassle too. Anyway, if the S3 would only be worth $50 if the latest Android phone was so much better that it caused older phones to be cheap. The iPhone 4 holds it's value because the 4S is such a small upgrade.

3) You're right... upgrades are slow. Although I don't know what they offer that a new launcher or apps don't, but I'm not really up on all the features. I am using ICS features on my 2.3 via Go Launcher and it's themes.

4) If you really don't like how it feels you can buy an aftermarket backplate for probably under $5. The plastic probably won't deter any serious buyers.

Just ordered mine(blue) on the QC Videotron network decent price and its going to be my first smart phone!

Cant wait to get it

My galaxy nexus already looks like the S3 thanks to XDA! TouchwizUI is very nice.

Had my s3 for 2 weeks now in UK, best phone I have ever had.

Fast, slick, nice to look at and a beast for speed on the net.

Hours of fun with it and hopefully hours more to come.

I just got mine yesterday, they only had white ones left on launch day of course :(

I had a super old omnia 2 winmo 6.5 piece of JUNK, and I'm very much happy with it sofar! I've been playing with it mostly nonstop installing stuff and just generally going nuts on it with no issues.

The massive amount of apps available is a bit of a shocker for me though, it takes ages to wade through them to get to something that you really want.

Probably the best Android phone out right now. I wish Samsung used higher quality materials though. [FONT=Helvetica]As an Android Samsung Galaxy S1 owner, I wanted to get the new Sammy but I am ditching Android this fall for iPhone 5 for these reasons:[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica]1) Android OS slows down over time to the point where the phone is nowhere near as fast when it was new. It happened with every Android owner I know. All of my friends have left Android because of it to iOS or Windows phone.

2) iPhone has far higher resale value in the US and Canada. $200-300 trade in at places like Amazon or sell it to someone else. In 2 years the resale value of this phone will be $50. That means owning an iPhone over a 2-year-contract is actually cheaper in the US than a comparable Android phone

3) US carriers are notorious for not upgrading the Android OS. I am still stuck with 2.1 on my S1.....Once newer iterations of Jelly Bean and so on launch, this phone is unlikely to get continues Android OS upgrades from US carriers.

4) The exterior components just feel cheap, especially compared to the new iPhone 4 vs. S3 (cheap, glossy plastic)

Overall, if US carriers provide support for 2 years on the latest Android OS, the OS doesn't bring the phone to its knees after 12 months of use and if Android phones start having more premium construction quality, I'll go back.
[/FONT]

LOL. Gingerbread has been avail for the S1 for.... ever now. After I used Kies to upgraded I starting reading up on custom ROMS. Guess what I'm running now on my S1? Jelly Bean! (via Cyanogenmod 10 nightly). Although it would be a smoother experience if it wasn't running on a single core CPU and 512MB RAM, but still, it's Jelly Bean, and it's nice. My next phone will either be a W8 phone or the Galaxy S2. I had the iPhone 4 32GB and it was ****, except for the PPI and battery life. Apple OS is simple and fast, but it lacks features other phones have had for a while now.

Back