Galaxy S9+ vs Pixel 2 XL Camera

Julio Franco

Staff member
Great review, glad I'm sticking with my Pixel 2 XL. Thanks for the obligatory cat tax.

Why even discuss the Pixel 2?

Nobody should vote with his money for a product that calls him stupid. A phone without a headphone jack is a test of your intelligence.

Nobody should vote with his money for a product that calls him stupid. A phone without a headphone jack is a test of your intelligence.
People still complain about this? I am not using my phone to try to get super superior audio quality out of what I am listening to, so bluetooth earbuds work just fine. The only place I use an AUX cable is in my work truck (my car has bluetooth)...and the Pixel 2 came with a dongle that has so far lasted six months in harsh conditions.

Thanks for the article. I’m surprised how much better the Pixel is over the Samsung in some of the shots.

Any chance for a comparison between the Pixel & IPhone X too?

I have the X myself and I’m wondering how it holds up against the pixel.

If you want some serious reviews for camera phones dxomark.com has comprehensive and very detailed reviews of every phone with write up and ranking. They rate both still photos, video and then a combine overall scoring. No disrespect to the reviewer here but I get a sense of bias. Perhaps reviewing the photos in a blind test would be more productive.

At any rate 4 different phones rank better for stills on dxomark.com .... Iphone X, Samsung s9+, Huawei P20 & Huawei P20 Pro .... No disrespect to this review but I'm inclined to trust a site whose sole purpose is to review cameras rather than one that isn't .... all in all interesting review here and thanks for sharing.

I'm not sure the author knew how to use the Samsung as I've seen incredible pictures on the SB 9+. Much better than those examples he used

People still complain about this? I am not using my phone to try to get super superior audio quality out of what I am listening to, so bluetooth earbuds work just fine. The only place I use an AUX cable is in my work truck (my car has bluetooth)...and the Pixel 2 came with a dongle that has so far lasted six months in harsh conditions.
Yes. As they should. Why should one be forced to buy bluetooth headphones, or carry around a dongle? At these prices, I want more features, not less.

For real lol, big deal. Since my car doesn't have bluetooth, I grabbed a $20 BT adapter off amazon that goes right into the AUX, leaves the usb port for charging.

For real lol, big deal. Since my car doesn't have bluetooth, I grabbed a $20 BT adapter off amazon that goes right into the AUX, leaves the usb port for charging.
But if your phone had a headphone jack, you could have spent the $20 on something else. Get it?
No I don't get it. Most people already have headphones and that's why they don't like that the jack was removed. I won't trade my sennheiser headphones for a worse bluetooth pair which I also have to charge or use a dongle while I travel and not be able to connect my power bank to my phone.

Having 2 jacks (usb + 3.5mm) will always be better than just 1.

Pixel 2 photos are great, but always applying that HDR effect has its drawbacks.

Look at the first selfie photo, for instance, in the sunlit room. The way the room looks in the S9+ photo is exactly as it would look on a sunny day. The artificial HDR processing on the Pixel, while helping to preserve the background details better, makes the room so much duller and unrealistic. You don't even know where the sunlight is coming from. The ceiling and hardwood floor clearly show that.

Last edited:
No I don't get it. Most people already have headphones and that's why they don't like that the jack was removed. I won't trade my sennheiser headphones for a worse bluetooth pair which I also have to charge or use a dongle while I travel and not be able to connect my power bank to my phone.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm saying that if his phone had a headphone jack (as it should), he wouldn't have needed to spend $20 on a BT adapter to use his Aux jack.

My post previous to that stated "Why should one be forced to buy bluetooth headphones, or carry around a dongle? At these prices, I want more features, not less."

Like you, I support smartphones having headphone jacks. I wouldn't buy one without it.

So the biggest upgrade from S8 to S9 is the camera but it's not actually that great? Why did they even bother with releasing pretty much the same phone?

I think you misinterpreted my post. I'm saying that if his phone had a headphone jack (as it should), he wouldn't have needed to spend $20 on a BT adapter to use his Aux jack.

My post previous to that stated "Why should one be forced to buy bluetooth headphones, or carry around a dongle? At these prices, I want more features, not less."

Like you, I support smartphones having headphone jacks. I wouldn't buy one without it.
You literally just connect the dongle to your headphones/aux cord and forget it... I travel all the time with my phone and its never been a problem O.o USB-C charges so fast it is not even an issue.

You literally just connect the dongle to your headphones/aux cord and forget it... I travel all the time with my phone and its never been a problem O.o USB-C charges so fast it is not even an issue.
Sure, it's not really an "issue". But if your phone offers a 3.5mm jack, then why not?? What is your point about paying more and getting less? C'mon, dude. Stop accepting less for more.

I don't even know one person that uses their headphone jack. Not everyone thinks like you do and the majority wins.

I don't even know one person that uses their headphone jack. Not everyone thinks like you do and the majority wins.
I'm sorry but I highly doubt that. You are telling us that you have no friends interested in music or co-workers or family. You are either exaggerating or just don't know that many people.

Just go around town (at a park or in the subway) and look around you'll find plenty. it's not about the majority winning, it's about people accepting BS and saying that "it's fine, it's nothing important" or "I don't use it so I don't care".

Not everybody uses everything, but having it is better than not having it. For example I don't use bluetooth that much but I would still find it stupid to have it removed since there might be a time when I might need it.

Oh?

Do you even know why?
Last I heard, bluetooth is a step down in audio quality. So I guess the difference boils down to having better sound vs looking cool.
Looking cool? I prefer not having a wire going down to my phone when im working. Its not like id have tons better audio with AUX vs BT earbuds.

Back