Game of Thrones fans abuse Google algorithms to link the search term 'bad writers' to...

Polycount

Staff

To say fans are disappointed with the final season of Game of Thrones would be a massive understatement. Veteran Total War players (a popular strategy game franchise) took to Reddit to voice their frustrations with the way the season's infamous "Battle of Winterfell" section played out, to name one example.

The examples of discontent are far more numerous than that, though. Game of Thrones fans at large seem to feel that the writing for the show's eighth season is unsatisfying, confusing, and inconsistent. Now, that frustration with the show's handling has taken a turn for the bizarre.

According to a report from The Verge (also confirmed by Business Insider and Metro), Redditors within the Freefolk subreddit have allegedly abused Google's algorithms to link the search term "Bad writers" to an image of Game of Thrones showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff.

These efforts have proven to be a resounding success. Several outlets (including the ones mentioned above) have been able to verify that the "Google bombing" worked -- searching for "Bad writers" surfaced images of both individuals.

Perhaps unintentionally, reports from said outlets have only helped to strengthen /r/Freefolk's "message." If you visit Google and use the same search term, you'll still see Weiss and Benioff's pictures - however, now they're from news articles covering the situation. Oops?

Permalink to story.

I see no problem here. Game of Thrones fans should revolt against the writers who have ruined the 8th season - right along side Disney haters, who are disgusted with how Disney is systematically ruining Star Wars.

Last edited:
I see no problem here. Game of Thrones fans should revolt against the writers who have ruined the 8th season - right along side Disney haters who is systematically ruining Star Wars.

Oh, and wait and see what the same GoT writers do with the Star Wars universe. Years later they will be seen as a complete joke; two individuals who think they're clever by doing the most illogical thing at every turn.

I see no problem here. Game of Thrones fans should revolt against the writers who have ruined the 8th season - right along side Disney haters who is systematically ruining Star Wars.

Oh, and wait and see what the same GoT writers do with the Star Wars universe. Years later they will be seen as a complete joke; two individuals who think they're clever by doing the most illogical thing at every turn.
I don't see how the Game of Thrones writers could make Star Wars worse than The Last Jedi from Rian Johnson.

There will always be haters, we should learn to ignore them. I for one love the way the 8th season unfolds, and especially the 5th episode. I left my own review on imdb about it. And I'm quite ok with only half the people agreeing with me.

I think your review mis-attributed the overall plot to the writers and missed the point on why many people disliked the episode. The ending plot about Danny turning evil was something likely established by George Martin, not the show writers, because Martin already told them how Game of Thrones would end.

Many people disliked the episode not because Danny turned evil, but because many things in the episode were wildly inconsistent and the show didn't set up Danny's turn to evil very well. One of the dragons died instantly to a few ships with bolt throwers in the last episode, but now they're superpowered and can destroy an entire fleet and walls lined with bolt throwers? Arya got hit by rubble and died 5 times over and was still alive and suddenly gets a free white horse? I suspected Danny would eventually turn into a mad queen given how the plot was going. However, the season really didn't set it up very well and the crazy flip was more out of the blue.

Also, giving the episode a perfect 10/10 with nothing but praises just seems like you're trying to balance out the negative reviews rather than giving it an honest independent review.

Last edited:
There will always be haters, we should learn to ignore them. I for one love the way the 8th season unfolds, and especially the 5th episode. I left my own review on imdb about it. And I'm quite ok with only half the people agreeing with me.

I think your review mis-attributed the overall plot to the writers and missed the point on why many people disliked the episode. The ending plot about Danny turning evil was something likely established by George Martin, not the show writers, because Martin already told them how Game of Thrones would end.

People disliked the episode not because Danny turned evil, but because many things in the episode were wildly inconsistent and the show didn't set up Danny's turn to evil very well.

I figured what would finally make her snap would be genuinely traumatic and horrifying, not...what actually did it.

That they can't even handle plot points that do make sense shows how low the series has fallen.

Yeah. These wild inconsistencies and conveniences have changed "excitement for the last season" to "I can't wait until it's over".
Heck, it even seems like they're rushing it with that Starbucks cup...

I don't see how the Game of Thrones writers could make Star Wars worse than The Last Jedi from Rian Johnson.

That's what I want to know. Season 8 and TLJ are in the same playing field of stupidity and character destruction. The Night King got "Snoked", most of the characters in GoT were destroyed in a similar fashion to Luke, the beginning of chapter 3 was very similar to TLJ's beginning regarding strategic stupidity, season 7 was the useless subplot that mirrors the Canto Bight subplot... It would take a while to draw all the parallels.

"One of the dragons died instantly to a few ships with bolt throwers in the last episode, but now they're superpowered and can destroy an entire fleet and walls lined with bolt throwers?"

I guess you're the only one who hasn't figured out the dragon that was shot out of the air was free-flying. The one that took out the fleet was guided by a rider. The "Queen" of dragons, no less. Plus there was no indication these bolt-throwers were going to be upgraded, mass produced and mounted on ships. Any military student will tell you that surprise is the #1 equalizer in a battle.

One of the dragons died instantly to a few ships with bolt throwers in the last episode, but now they're superpowered and can destroy an entire fleet and walls lined with bolt throwers? Arya got hit by rubble and died 5 times over and was still alive and suddenly gets a free white horse?

The first dragon was killed in a surprise attack, while free-flying. And with the last one Danny took the initiative, and did some nice manoeuvring, as expected.

Arya is quickest one on her feet in the entire series, why did she have to die under rubble? Because you wanted her to? And you have a thing against white horses too?

Like I said, haters just hate, because that's what they do.

In the words of Tyrion, "I drink and I know things".

Last edited:
It is some of the worst and laziest writing to end a series ever. Loyal GOT fans over the years deserved better. Forget the defenders just search the almost un-countable plot holes, wtf moments and lazy writing just to wrap up side characters and stories.

wm3D9cv.jpg

Last edited:
"One of the dragons died instantly to a few ships with bolt throwers in the last episode, but now they're superpowered and can destroy an entire fleet and walls lined with bolt throwers?"

I guess you're the only one who hasn't figured out the dragon that was shot out of the air was free-flying. The one that took out the fleet was guided by a rider. The "Queen" of dragons, no less. Plus there was no indication these bolt-throwers were going to be upgraded, mass produced and mounted on ships. Any military student will tell you that surprise is the #1 equalizer in a battle.

I guess you you're the only one who hasn't figured out that dragons should be able to maneuver better to avoid obstacles WITHOUT a human rider than with a rider?

Anybody with basic knowledge of how planes/flying work would know that having to carry a human pilot limits the maneuvers and speeds the plane or dragon can fly at. A dragon with Danny riding on its back can't pull off crazy dodging maneuvers or it would throw Danny off his back or kill her with excessive G-force.

Plus, going by how the fleet battle was going, it looked like every ship had those bolt throwers. So Danny's dragon somehow trashed hundreds of ships without getting hit even once despite flying in low and well within their fire range...whereas the other dragon gets killed by multiple bolts in the previous episode while flying high and seemingly outside of their range.

They nerfed and killed off the second dragon for convenience and to build up tension, but had to power level that last dragon by 100x so it could shoehorn in the plot of Danny wiping out the Iron Fleet and take the city in 1 episode.

Last edited:
It is some of the worst and laziest writing to end a series. Loyal GOT fans over the years deserved better. Forget the defenders just search the almost un-countable plot holes, wtf moments and lazy writing just to wrap up side characters and stories.

wm3D9cv.jpg

LOL...Rotten Tomatoes reviews by Millennials whining Millennial style. Yeah, that's real convincing.

There's nothing wrong with the writing. People are just pissed that it's not turning out the way THEY want it and being vocal about it.

What they don't get is the story lines are DONE. By the end of season 7, all the sub-plots were wrapped up and the only three things left to do was 1) fight the dead, 2) fight Cersei, and 3) find out who was finally going to sit on the Iron Throne and we'll see that on Sunday night. That's it, and that's exactly what's happened. I don't know what people were expecting to see, as the obvious was there all the time.

Really, the amount of pissing and moaning over this season - a FANTASY series of all things - when we all knew what was going to happen has been nothing short of asinine.

LOL...Rotten Tomatoes reviews by Millennials whining Millennial style. Yeah, that's real convincing.

There's nothing wrong with the writing. People are just pissed that it's not turning out the way THEY want it and being vocal about it.

What they don't get is the story lines are DONE. By the end of season 7, all the sub-plots were wrapped up and the only three things left to do was 1) fight the dead, 2) fight Cersei, and 3) find out who was finally going to sit on the Iron Throne and we'll see that on Sunday night. That's it, and that's exactly what's happened. I don't know what people were expecting to see, as the obvious was there all the time.

Really, the amount of pissing and moaning over this season - a FANTASY series of all things - when we all knew what was going to happen has been nothing short of asinine.

Yikes...apparently you're in a minority now yet the writing is fine. Um OK. Another person bitching about others bitching and pretending they don't care yet continue to argue back. LOL this thread delivers!

The first dragon was killed in a surprise attack, while free-flying. And with the last one Danny took the initiative, and did some nice manoeuvring, as expected.
Arya is quickest one on her feet in the entire series, why did she have to die under rubble? Because you wanted her to? And you have a thing against white horses too?

Like I said, haters just hate, because that's what they do.
In the words of Tyrion, "I drink and I know things".

1) The first dragon was killed by multiple bolts while flying high in the sky and was much farther away from the ships. Danny flew in close and was well within their firing range. It's easier to hit things close than things far away.

2) Free flying dragons dodge objects better than dragons with riders on their backs. Dragons aren't stupid. A human pilot limits the maneuvers and speeds the plane or dragon can fly at. A dragon with Danny riding on its back can't pull off crazy dodging maneuvers or it would throw Danny off his back or kill her with excessive G-force.

3) You missed the point about Arya. I didn't want Arya to die under the rubble. I wanted her to not repeatedly get hit by giant falling rubble FOR NO REASON and then shrug it off like nothing happened. The show writers created unnecessary tension for no reason and had her character suffer what would typically be a death sentence MULTIPLE times with no consequences for the character.

It's like the Battle of Winterfell when Samwell Tarly gets swarmed by wights like 6-7 times and survive without a single scratch at the end. If he was going to survive without a scratch then the show shouldn't have shown him getting swarmed by wights so many times. It's like the episode where the ships gets sunk by Eurion's bolt throwers - when they cut to a scene where Tyrion is about to get hit by a ship's mast, goes to black, and then the episode cuts to him on the beach unharmed.

4) You also seemed to have missed the point about horses. I have nothing against white horses. It is just awfully convenient that a tame white horse shows up OUT OF NOWHERE to conveniently carry Arya out of the city when the invading soldiers and dragon spent the previous several hours burning and destroying the city. The writers never even bothered establishing where that horse came from and just conveniently teleported it near Arya at the end so she could get out of the destroyed city.

5) Hates just hate, and shillers just shill.

Giving this episode a perfect 10/10 makes as much sense as giving it a 0/10.

Last edited:
So far this season was really bad up until the last episode of which I thought wasn't to bad. They usually do a way better job of transitioning change within their characters. The action scenes of the Long Night were terrible, winter came and it was lame. That's not even including the darkness thing people hate. They have one more episode to redeem themselves.

By the way those rotten tomato rating are from around a 100 "professional" reviewers. It's funny to see how hard they kissed GOT butt until they realized the fans were mad and slowly copied their outrage....

Maybe they'll do something cool like have the kid in the wheel chair summon an animal army. I wonder if they still have a bunch of those firepots under the city with all those green explosions, that might come into play next episode. I bet John somehow gets a dragon and they battle it out in the sky. "Oh I love you but I have to dragon fight you!" (that one dragons probably alive)

To all of you who are experienced enough with literature, character development and story arcs - who see how Game of Thrones’ 8th season has literally ruined fan expectations and investment...

I’d just like to thank you for your comments here against these naysayers.

...and the last 2 Star Wars films were trash.

Yikes...apparently you're in a minority now yet the writing is fine. Um OK. Another person bitching about others bitching and pretending they don't care yet continue to argue back. LOL this thread delivers!
I see both sides, I think A LOT of people are bitching because it isn't turning out they way they think it should BUT at the same time it feels rushed and so many inconsistencies have plagued the show this season. I have enjoyed this season for the most part.

I see both sides, I think A LOT of people are bitching because it isn't turning out they way they think it should BUT at the same time it feels rushed and so many inconsistencies have plagued the show this season. I have enjoyed this season for the most part.

or maybe they are upset because they watched several seasons of the best writing they’d ever seen slowly degenerate into season eight where things that make absolutely no sense start to occur at breakneck pace .

or maybe they are upset because they watched several seasons of the best writing they’d ever seen slowly degenerate into season eight where things that make absolutely no sense start to occur at breakneck pace .
I don't disagree that some feel that way and I agree about the writing taking a nose dive the last two seasons but still some just had their own idea about how it should end and are upset and couldn't care less about the writing.

Many people disliked the episode not because Danny turned evil, but because many things in the episode were wildly inconsistent and the show didn't set up Danny's turn to evil very well. One of the dragons died instantly to a few ships with bolt throwers in the last episode, but now they're superpowered and can destroy an entire fleet and walls lined with bolt throwers? Arya got hit by rubble and died 5 times over and was still alive and suddenly gets a free white horse? I suspected Danny would eventually turn into a mad queen given how the plot was going. However, the season really didn't set it up very well and the crazy flip was more out of the blue.

Also, giving the episode a perfect 10/10 with nothing but praises just seems like you're trying to balance out the negative reviews rather than giving it an honest independent review.

You forgot the part where euron greyjoy just happens to show up in the exact same remote part of king's landing as Jamie Lanister. Or how about the part were Danny completely ignores cersei to go and burn all the villagers (why wouldn't you burn the queen first?). And how did the hound get access to the red keep inner sanctuary so easily? Like anyone would miss a guy like that.

This episode had so many issues but it's par for the course even since the book material has ran out.

The only issue was time, if they had made the episodes the feature length that they promised then these events wouldn't have seemed so rushed. We needed another season now they cut them but everything that happened was always going to happen or something very similar. The show has been rushing since Season 6.

Back