First of all my PC specs..

AMD x2 3800
PowerColor ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra
2gb GeIL RAM
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 160GB
NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW
Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450w Smart Power PSU

First of all I should point out that I've got both my graphics card's and motherboard's latest drivers, and that the crashing persists with the latest drivers or the drivers on the CDs that came with the components.

So anyway,

I've installed Sims 2 for my sister but it keeps crashing. First time it crashed when she was creating a family (just randomly, she had been playing it about 15 mins) and second time was when she went in to the neighbourhood screen. We managed to get the game in to one of the houses and I pulled all the settings down to the lowest possible and it was running fine. Just as a text I started knocking things up one at a time and eventually, of course, it crashed again.

Aside from Sims 2, 3DMark 05 also crashed too about 30-40 seconds in to the test.

Counter Strike 1.6 also crashed but this is a strange one.. I managed to play it 3-4 times for about 20 mins at a time without it crashing, but last night I tried to play it again and it crashed.

Anyone know what the problem could be? From looking at my spec it's obviously not the Sims 2 or 3DMark are too powerful for my PC to run so I am really confused.

When I say crash by the way, I don't mean to the desktop, I mean actually freeze so I have to turn it off at the front of the base unit.

Could it be my 450w PSU? I'm hoping not because I can imagine what a bugger they are to take out and replace. I've been told by some people that the PSU isn't powerful enough to run my setup, while others say Antec PSUs are fine and that the PSU is unlikely to be the problem.

Also might be worth mentioning that since I installed the motherboard drivers there is a screen that comes up, inbetween the Windows XP loading screen and the Windows XP logon screen, that looks all crashy.. hard to describe heh..

As you can imagine I am just a bit peed off now.. just splashed out £800 and built myself a gaming PC yet it can't play a single game without crashing..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back