Games Lag plz help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkIce

Hi,

Ok i have resently had to get my self a new Motherboard due to the fact my old one stopped working. I think it got fryed anyways my problem now is once i had installed a new motherboard it is lagging me constantly on any game I play.

I have tried mosty things but nothing happened to fix the problem. the motherboard i got now is a Foxconn Motherboard. more detail help here

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinformation/...36 BUNDLE.htm

now here is the rest of my computers specs

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: AWARD_
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 328MB used, 917MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Plz can you help. Desperiatly needed.

Thanks

p.s on Counter Strike source i get a fps of 8 - 25 and it shows how laggy it gets.

Get speedfan from the downloads section and use it to monitor temperatures.
What psu are you using and what wattage is it?

have you updated all relevant drivers?
have you tried defrag and chkdisk /f as well?

ok wll i ain't sure what it is but i got this from the back of my pc

AC Input: 220-230Vac 4A 50- 60 Hhz
DC Output 2Vac 0.8A

It's a Packard Bell psu

N3051M said:
have you updated all relevant drivers?
have you tried defrag and chkdisk /f as well?

I have got the updated Drivers for eerything but i ain't defraged my PC or chkdisk i will try that.

ok i have run the chkdisk it didn't make any difference. I do not see how defragmenting fixes the problem. Could it be of my Power supply??? or Graphics Card Even Plz help.

A heavily fragmented hard drive can cause slowdowns, give it a try, you have nothing to loose!!!!!!

Have you run antivirus and antispyware scans recently? if so, with what software?

thats got a antivirus and antispyware and firewall in it. Sorry i'm not trying to sound annoyed i need this problem fixed and the defragment is nearly finished.

Yess i downloaded Speedfan, the clock tab does not show my motherboard make...

What GPU do you have?

Sorry what do you mean by GPU? i neer hear anything of that unless you are refering to my graphics card?

If so it is A G-Force 6600 256mb ddr agp8x

I dunno looking at the speed fan it is giving me high tempertures, here is a screenshot i have hosted http://axeman.stforce.org/screeny/speedfan.JPG

Dunno if this may be the answer but my over motherboard might of overheated too much to fry itself and i don't want the same thing to happen. I am just wondering if it could be the Powersupply i mean it is old it been on everyday since i got this PC (lame i know) tell me what you think do i need to get a new Power supply??

The temps are a little on the high side, a better cpu heatsink and fan may be a good idea!!!
I was also gonna say that the poor old packard bell psu is probably not up to the job too, its probably only something like 230watts at best!!!!

hmm have you got any good heatsinks and fans to do with this the motherboard.

but I was thinking doesn't a too pwoerfully powersupply tend to overheat it. ui don't really wat to get another as it just 2 days old.

You did put heat transfer pase between the cpu and heatsink right???

More powerful psu's do not create more heat, they create less.
Here is an example of what i mean-
Psu 1 is say a 200watt and psu2 is a 400watt.
Lets suppose they both generate 50 degrees c of heat at full power.
Now, if we require 200watts of power it means that psu 1 is running at full power and is therefore producing 50 degrees c of heat.
Psu 2 on the other hand would only be working at %50 of its capacity and could therefore produce the 200watts at 25 degrees c.

Its not quite as simple as that but its a reasonable example.

A psu will do its best to produce the ammount of power required.

If your pc is trying to pull too much power from your psu it will produce a lot of heat and wont last long.
If you have a way over the top psu then your pc will never pull more power than the psu can safely deliver so it will stay cooler and last a lot longer.

I hope all that makes sense!!!

rik said:
You did put heat transfer pase between the cpu and heatsink right???

More powerful psu's do not create more heat, they create less.
Here is an example of what i mean-
Psu 1 is say a 200watt and psu2 is a 400watt.
Lets suppose they both generate 50 degrees c of heat at full power.
Now, if we require 200watts of power it means that psu 1 is running at full power and is therefore producing 50 degrees c of heat.
Psu 2 on the other hand would only be working at %50 of its capacity and could therefore produce the 200watts at 25 degrees c.

Its not quite as simple as that but its a reasonable example.

A psu will do its best to produce the ammount of power required.

If your pc is trying to pull too much power from your psu it will produce a lot of heat and wont last long.
If you have a way over the top psu then your pc will never pull more power than the psu can safely deliver so it will stay cooler and last a lot longer.

I hope all that makes sense!!!
To simplify (or expand :D)

Power needed = Stress given on the PSU and how efficiently it deals with it = How much heat and power it will produce.
But i don't think the temps are as acurate as you've noted... (it would have a base operating temp. then deviate off that, like CPU/GPU temps do)

And to add a common example to rik's ones, say you have a system that needs 310Watts of power and 18Amps on the 12V for the graphics card. You have a PSU thats 300W 12V/15Amps. That PSU will have to work overtime to produce the extra 10W and since its not designed for that, the electrical signal provided will fluctuate so its unreliable (could be spiking (bad) or not producing enough/anything (still bad)). Plus the extra 2Amps needed cannot be produced by the PSU because its not made to produce that amount.
If you're lucky the PSU will just blow up (providing some free fireworks as well :hotbounce:) and if you're unlucky the whole PC will go as well.

You can see this in your speedfan screenshot. The 5V and 12V are not providing enough, but still within the safe operating levels. Try doing another reading when you're 2 minutes into a game and it would've been stressed further.. and i agree with rik. I think its time to replace that PSU.. use this calculator to determine your minimum and add 50Watts to it for headroom.

So: the more the PSU can handle, the less stress its going to experience, the more life you are going to get from it. Of course then theres the silly thing of overkill.. 700Watts for a 300Watt PC.....

Temperatures. Yes your CPU temps are a bit high.. open up the PC up and use a can of compressed air or vacuum cleaner and blow all the dust out, especialy on the heatsinks. that should pull it down a bit.

Please use the EDIT button. Its what its there for.

ok erm i don't have dust on it it's brand new lol. So the answer you giving me is to get a more powerful PSU am i correct

In N3051M's post the word calculator is in blue, click on it and it will take you to a psu calculator that will tell you how much power your pc needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back