Games not running like they should -- new to PC gaming

So im kinda new to pc gaming, and i dont know a whole lot about tweaking computers. I have an i7 870 with an hd 5770 and 8 gigs of ram running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. It seems like this should run most new games pretty well, when i first got the computer starcraft 2 set my settings to max and it runs really well, however all other games such as borderlands, dragon age origins, and oblivion all default my settings to the lowest settings. I put the settings to max anyway and they run but not as good as they should. With Dragon Age it slows down slightly when turning, as does borderlands. It seems like i should be able to run these no problem but i guess there is something wrong..... Anyone know how to fix this? I really want to play games like they should be played

You're really not giving very much info about this problem. Perhaps you could run some benchmarks and give some video config info along with the problem description? Post that and we may be able to see if you're in line where you're supposed to be. The 5770 is a good card but not a great one. If you're running at 1920 with AA enabled you might be tapping the limits of that card.

Well from what i just read, it seems like LNCPapa hit it right on the head. The HD5770 is a good card but you might be just asking for a little too much; trying to run max settings for all of those games.

But i would still say, make sure all your drivers and all that good stuff are up to date for your card.

You also, try to disable, certain Add-Ons or 3D party programs you are using that may be associated with the games. Ive had that problem on other games such as WOW which caused a massive amount of FPS loss.

What's your screen resolution?

The 5770 chokes at 1920x1080, especially if you want to turn up all the eyecandy.

Also, driver version?

SC2 stresses CPU, not GPU, that's why it runs well on your system since the i7 860 is very fast.

well dragon age 2 is very heavy that lags on most computers....
Try installing the latest driver set, by removing the old one with driver cleaner and getting new ones on the AMD website. Also turn AA settings down to X2 or X4 or maybe off completely, this can bring most cards to their knees no matter how powerfull

some settings in games, such as AA and particle physics can put serious stress on graphics cards if set to maximum settings. Oftentimes games will note settings that require more power. Try configuring these settings. Also, the 5770 is not the greatest card on the market. It *will* struggle at high resolutions

Back