GeForce GTX 980 Ti Revisited: How does it fare against the GTX 1070 and RTX 2060?

Oh man....no overclock results?

We all know the 980ti really shines with a 30-40% overclock. Most the 980ti’s Ive owned hit 1400-1475mhz no problem on air.

Too bad she doesnt support adaptive sync like the 10 series and newer, I know which budget gpu id be looking for if that were the case.

I've had friends come to me for help shopping for a new Gaming laptop and I always steer them to the 2060 equipped Core i7 models over the 1660Ti models for this very reason.

The current popular baseline GPU for 1080p gameplay is the 1060, and it's a shame it couldn't be included in the comparison. That GPU may not be able to max out all settings on newer games in 1440p or 4k (obviously) , but it can handle the games here at 1080p with better than 60fps.

The 1070 and 1080 were just better than the 106, and now you get the 2060 which is more efficient and better in many ways than the 1070 and 1080 especially when using Direct X ray Tracing is desired. No you won't get 60FPS at 4K with the 2060, but you can use Ray Tracing wherein you couldn't use it on the 1070 or 980Ti so at least you get your foot in the door.

The 980Ti was designed with 1080p gaming in mind during its day and it did its job well back then compared to the much more expensive TITAN X.

The 2060 is the best entry-level card you can aim for because it was designed specifically with 1440p curved 34" gaming monitors in mind - rather than 4K monitors.

But when you're ready for 4K 60fps with Ray Tracing...your only choice is a 2080/Super or Ti till the 3000 series hits shelves.

I'm wondering what 2nd gen RTX is going to bring. I hope Super was not being considered as 2nd gen.

I think it's fair to say that every second gen RTX will outperform its predecessor by "just enough" to justify its existence.

The 3060 will be better than the 2060.

The 3070 will be better than the 2070.

The 3080 will be better than the 2080.

The 3080Ti will sit above all else, but the TITAN.

Thing is, I'd say the next generation of cards should be so good at 4K 60FPS that they demand on them then will become how well they do at 120FPS or 240FPS...or possibly 8K.

I believe however, that they're gonna have a hard time forcing most users to upgrade from 4K to 8K.

I honestly don't see the desktop benefit of upgrading from 1440p 144Hz to 4K or 8K.

What I was meaning was if RT was going to be the same ole thing. Or if it was going to be revamped somehow.

Unless Nvidia pulls another trick out of their hats and moves the goal post, I don't see any reason to switch from RTX to anything else.

Ray Tracing is something they basically set the standards on and now AMD has to choose whether or not to play catch up or not. Even Sony and Microsoft have decided to jump on the RT bandwagon.

Ray Tracing is something they basically set the standards on and now AMD has to choose whether or not to play catch up or not. Even Sony and Microsoft have decided to jump on the RT bandwagon.
I wasn't meaning anything negative toward RT. I'm just a little skeptical about first gen anything remaining the same. I've been waiting to find out, since first gen came out.

I wasn't meaning anything negative toward RT. I'm just a little skeptical about first gen anything remaining the same. I've been waiting to find out, since first gen came out.

I see no reason they can't just phase out the 2000's and phase in the 3000s.

They did it with GTX

We all know the 980ti really shines with a 30-40% overclock. Most the 980ti’s Ive owned hit 1400-1475mhz no problem on air.

Too bad she doesnt support adaptive sync like the 10 series and newer, I know which budget gpu id be looking for if that were the case.

That's the reference card you're talking about, though even it can't boost by 30-40%, that's way too extreme, more like 20% at best. This MSI AIB model has about 10% headroom in it, so pretty standard OC.

Pretty impressive performance from the 980 Ti although with the price of the both it and the 1070 right around $210 used, mostly people are going to want to get the 1070. At that price I think you are getting very good performance for your money.

Unless Nvidia pulls another trick out of their hats and moves the goal post, I don't see any reason to switch from RTX to anything else.

That depends on whether next gen RTX software will run well on first gen RTX cards. Given that they were 1st gen cards, I would not be entirely surprised.

?? The consoles are using hardware accelerated RT on AMD GPUs. That's not something that just pops up, it takes awhile to design a GPU. AMD's approach to RT is to add functionality to existing hardware on the die. There isn't enough details to confirm how any of it works though.

980Ti still a fine card up to 1440p. Surpasses 60FPS in most scenarios, or only a couple of settings away at worst. Although 1080p is now the sweet spot for that performance new (GTX1660Ti give or take.)

I hold much hope for Nvidia's latest cards this year. Big big step. RTX2080Ti performance for $400 should be the target, much how GTX1070 was arriving to displace the 980Ti. Please don't disappoint me.

Downgraded my nephew from his i3 7100 & 1060 3gb to my old setup i7 4790k & MSI 980ti. He's pretty happy. My sisters probably not with increase in electricity bill. ? ?

It never was a overclock.
All people were doing is setting where stock should be in the first place and then they ignore the power usage. Just hilarious .

What's this article trying to show?

We all know nvidia doesn't optimize drivers for old had hardware. The culling has never been more prevalent than with pascal to Turing.

Old titles pascal plays well, anything new to the market, pascal dogs it.

Thanks for the article. I bought the Asus Strix 980 Ti two years ago for $220 and it's still running strong. Great to see it still has plenty life in it.

Back