Gigabyte GA-7DX can't handle the XP2000+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schembo2000

mobo can't handle the 2000+?

hi, i have a gigabyte GA-7DX mobo (look at my sig for the rest of my system) and had an 1800+, but i think i fried it. so i went out a bought a 2000+, installed it in my computer, and when i powered it up, i get a black screen. the fans, hdds power up, but the power led stays off. have i fried my mobo? or do i just need a bios upgrade?

also btw, my psu is 350W enermax

Try booting the Mobo with a simple CPu like a Duron or an Athlon. The CPU is very close to the mother board so when it fries, the motherboard is exposed to some very high temps too. If it doesn't boot with another CPU, then you might have fried it. If it does boot, it might be that the mobo doesn't support multipliers above 13 or something.

I burnt a Duron once & it messed the onboard thermal diodes right under the socket. I was getting 120°c temps at bootup :eek:

I had to send it back to Asus & I got a new one in two weeks or so...

i was thinking of trying that, but i don't have another cpu besides the 1800+ and the 2000+. I fried my cpu when i was trying to unlock it.

anyway, thanks for the responce.

It could be a bios update. My mobo would run all the XP cpu's except for the 2000+ unless I upgraded my bios. Kinda odd but it may be the answer.

Originally posted by svtcobra
It could be a bios update. My mobo would run all the XP cpu's except for the 2000+ unless I upgraded my bios. Kinda odd but it may be the answer.
Cobra's got a point; this is usually the case. I had flash by bios (Abit KT7) to accept up to 1.4GHz
Check Gigabyte's site for info.

To be able to update the bios, he should have a booting system; which he can't because he has no bios update ...

You will have to 'borrow' a compatible cpu just for the upload.

Make sure u don't mess up while doing a bios flashing, u might ruin your board
nice mobo :):)

*edited by moderator

ok thanks for all of the replies guys!! My friend has a 750MHz duron that i could probably use to see if the mobo works and to update the bios. i thought that i would have to do somthing like that anyway. thanks again!! i will keep you posted as to what happens :)

Re: 7dx and 2000+

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Hey schembo2000,

According to Giga-Byte, bios version f-6 dated Dec,24 2001 supports the XP 2000+ Cpu.
Here is the info at Giga-byte
http://www.giga-byte.com/support/support.htm

I have the 7DXR and love it !!

Currentlly running the XP 1600 with organic packaging

Take care and good luck

Boeingfixer

Yes, thankyou i found that and downloaded it. i got my friend's duron 750 and i gave him my Athlonxp (good trade huh?) I had to update his bios to accept it, but it is working now. i upgraded my bios to f6 and it is working the duron fine @885MHz. Thankyou for all of your inputs.

Hey schembo2000,

No prob, any time. Hope you enjoy the 7DX as much as I do on the DXR. If you have any more questions just ask.

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Hey schembo2000,

No prob, any time. Hope you enjoy the 7DX as much as I do on the DXR. If you have any more questions just ask.

actually the 7dx sux. it only has 2 DDR slots, and you can only choose a few fsb settings. There is no multiplier adjustment and no voltage adjustment. a lot of the regular bios settings are just not there.

on the other hand, it was free and you can't complain about that :D

Originally posted by Didou
So is the Athlon 2000+ working ?

i don't know yet because my friend still has my 2000+. i will probably get it on friday. i will post then if it is working or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back