Gigabyte H81M-DS2 running a DDR3 2133Mhz

vhalz

Hi,

As the title suggest, can you clarify to me if I can run a ddr3 2133 on Gigabyte H81M-DS2 which according to the website (Gigabyte) that it supports only up to 1600 of DDR3. I have a 4GBx2 of DDR3 2133 G-Skill, others say I can use XMP to use the advertise speed of the ram which 2133Mhz. Currently my ram is running at 1600 which the defualt speed. Will it break my system?

Thanks.

Anything over the specified limits will create room for error and instability. You can technically run the RAM at the rated speeds from my understanding, but it's not guaranteed that it'll work without any problems.

But because of the limit of the motherboard I can only run it a 1600MHz?? It's impossible to run it at 2133Mhz?
Can you clarify?

Thanks

You can run it at 1600MHz safely and it will not cause any instability. However, it's not impossible to run it at 2133MHz, but if you manage to get it to run at those speeds, it's more likely than not going to be unstable. With that said, you probably won't see a difference in performance between the two. I don't think it's worth it trying to increase the clocks beyond what your MOBO is capable of handling. When it comes to RAM, you're better off getting more RAM than buying faster modules.

Back