GOG Galaxy is getting a storefront overhaul, will let you buy Epic Games Store titles...

Polycount

Staff
In context: GOG's Galaxy 2.0 client has been out in the wild for months now, and our impressions have been largely positive. However, the storefront left quite a bit to be desired -- it was essentially a cut-back version of GOG's website store, both visually and functionally.

The trouble is, GOG's website storefront is quite a bit different to the rest of the Galaxy 2.0 experience. The interface is less streamlined, and the color scheme is made up of greens and whites, whereas the rest of Galaxy 2.0 features sleek gradients, purples, and whites.

Today, GOG is beginning to test out a more consistent in-app store experience. Functionally, not much is changing -- most of the changes are aesthetic only, so it's much better for us to show you the tweaks than attempt to describe them. Check out some of the images throughout this article for examples of the updated look.

However, what we can discuss is another major change arriving for the GOG platform. As part of its mission to make GOG Galaxy your one-stop-shop for organizing all of your games, no matter their platform, CD Projekt will begin selling games from other platforms -- even exclusives -- directly through the Galaxy app.

For now, that means you can buy a wide array of Epic Games Store titles through GOG. We assume you still need to have the Epic Games Store downloaded to actually play the games (so they probably won't be DRM-free), but buying through GOG entitles you to the platform's generous 30-day, no-questions-asked refund policy.

Permalink to story.

I've bought exactly one game that required me to be logged into a store for it to run and that was by mistake. No one should ever give money to companies that make unreasonable demands of users. Single-player games that require Internet connectivity are cancer.

I've bought exactly one game that required me to be logged into a store for it to run and that was by mistake. No one should ever give money to companies that make unreasonable demands of users. Single-player games that require Internet connectivity are cancer.

I don't know if you know but GOG Galaxy its optional, you can buy games from their website and just download images from there to your HDD. I use the store because I like when it tracks how much I played given game

Would be nice if it could be developed to the point where it offers DRM-free where applicable, kind of like an automatic GOG Connect, like GOG did with the Witcher 3.

Most don't. You can play offline on Steam, and there are other stores where the executables are standalone, like on Galaxy. So you still download through an app (which for most scenarios is fine) but you can run the games directly.

Back