GoldenEye 007 poised for digital release on Xbox

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? One of the greatest games ever launched on the Nintendo 64 may soon be playable on modern hardware. TrueAchievements has shared an achievement list for GoldenEye 007, Rare’s seminal first-person shooter based on the 1995 James Bond film GoldenEye. Details are still scarce according to the publication, so we aren’t certain if this is a remake, a remaster or a re-release of the original.

The list of achievements is different from the one that accompanied the canceled GoldenEye 007 remake for XBLA last year. In total, there are 55 achievements adding up to a Gamerscore of 1,000.

Games based on movies (and vice versa) are usually pretty terrible, but GoldenEye 007 was a rare exception. The single-player campaign and gameplay mechanics were great, as were the graphics. Where the game really shined, however, was in four-player local multiplayer. I can only imagine how many hours I burned on this title, huddled around a small 19-inch CRT playing The Man With the Golden Gun with friends.

The achievement leak suggests this is coming to Xbox first, although there’s hope that Nintendo might one day add it to its Switch Online stable for play on its handheld. Banjo-Kazooie, another Rare title, was recently announced for the Switch Online Expansion. Maybe GoldenEye 007 will be next?

That leaves us with just one question: Was playing as Oddjob “cheating?

Permalink to story.

So how they did sort of the licensing legal wrangles? I guess if anything is removed it'll be disappointing but probably a net positive if the game makes it out regardless.

Goldeneye is something I emulated quite a bit if only to show some youngsters what all the fuss was about. I maintain the N64 pad was stupid, however this would be still a sweet hit of pure nostalgia on modern machines. I still play the Daytona USA HD remaster, I'm a child of all the 90s classics.

We rented a huge CRT TV in my student apartment and played this 4 player split screen as well as Mario kart 64 and Fzero Gx I think. Happy days.

I still play this on source have a community of regulars that play this almost everyday still tons of fun.

If Nintendo had only offered a DUAL ANALOG joystick back then, they would have revolutionized FPS gaming earlier.

I never got a comfortably thought out controller based FPS till HALO on Xbox.

Before then, it was either the uncomfortable Dual analog sticks and poorly thought out control options on PS2 or the terrible mono-analog stick of N64 using the action buttons to look.

If Nintendo had only offered a DUAL ANALOG joystick back then, they would have revolutionized FPS gaming earlier.

Before then, it was either the uncomfortable Dual analog sticks and poorly thought out control options on PS2 or the terrible mono-analog stick of N64 using the action buttons to look.

Funny enough golden eye on a N64 controller feels natural to me and is use able for me. Playing anything else including Halo on a Xbox controller feels alien and slow. And I have to go back to a mouse and keyboard immediately.

We rented a huge CRT TV in my student apartment and played this 4 player split screen as well as Mario kart 64 and Fzero Gx I think. Happy days.

Dude, I haven’t thought about Fzero in 15+ years. THAT was a baller game as well. Hard as hell to get real good at.

I would love to see this on PC with proper KB&M control support.

Hard as hell to get real good at.
That's because crap controls. The stick was WAY to sensitive and needed a larger dead-zone....

You could actually play with dual sticks if you wanted, just needed 2 controllers.

I have USB N64 controllers. Make it work for PS4/5 and I'll play in style. For now I'll use my cruddy emulator on my laptop with all the graphics glitches to go with it. The facilities anyone?

Back