Just wondering what people though of my new system:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2GHz
Asus M2PV-VM nForce 430 Mobo w/PCI-Express X16
Integrated GeForce 6150 GPU

OVER my old system

Intel Celeron D 2.66GHz @ 3.1GHz
ECS P4M800Pro-M478 w/AGP 8X
Integrated S3 UniChrome GPU

Went with much better cause you didn't get a Conroe! I'll have to put up a poll when I build mine in about 2 months. I'm on a 6 year old AMD Duron 700 with 512 of pc100. I can still play CS 1.6 on medium setting, though.

Much better. An Athlon 64 over a Celeron D. Way better :)

An ASUS mobo over an ECS mobo. Much, much better!

Geforce 6150 over a S3 GPU, much better too!

Hell of a lot better I'd say. Remember, we're comparing the new one to the old and the new one absolutely blows the old one away. Nice choice of parts cfitzarl but why didn't u go with a mobo with a newer series 5 nForce chipset like the 570 or 590? Would have given much better gaming performance than the nF 4 series.

Hell of a lot better I'd say. Remember, we're comparing the new one to the old and the new one absolutely blows the old one away. Nice choice of parts cfitzarl but why didn't u go with a mobo with a newer series 5 nForce chipset like the 570 or 590? Would have given much better gaming performance than the nF 4 series.

What kind of performance difference can you expect from a newer chipset, like the 500 series?

You can have a Nforce 4 ultra or SLI, and it will perform very well :)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:

I couldn't afford it, sadly. The performance on the new computer is excellent though.

The NF4 series are excellent performers. Good choice cfitzarl. At least you didn't get a SiS chipset...

Nforce 5 series chipsets fix most of the annoying incompatibility issues between it and certain AMD processors/mobos. Also, the nForce 590 SLI chipset comes with NVIDIA LinkBoost which boosts the performance of a card(s) by upto 25% in the PCi-Express slot if it is detected as an NVIDIA 7900 series card. Plus, it offers the full 46 PCi-Express lanes for superb gaming performance with SLI.
On the other hand, an inexpensive choice for SLI would be the nForce 570 SLI.
If u wanna use only one card though, the nForce 550/570 Ultra do nicely.

As you can see, the nForce 5 series offers quite a bit of improvement and variety over the nForce 4 series. nF5 mobos also come with HD onboard sound. Details here.

It would have been a great choice and I'm not pressuring him to buy it. Just trying to make a point.

Back