Good SATA HDD - easy to install

laptox

Last time I fitted a Sata drive - it took me ages to locate the raid drivers to make it work with windows XP.
Now I have a VISTA based acer PC - and the HDD isn't even showing in the bios. Can any recommend a SATA HDD - that comes with a driver disk - Hoping I won't need it - as it may be easier with Vista (you don't say that very often:))

The only time you should need a driver is if you're setting the drive up for RAID. For a regular SATA connection you should just plug it and boot.

Which motherboard are you using and which drive is it?

The only time you should need a driver is if you're setting the drive up for RAID. For a regular SATA connection you should just plug it and boot.

Which motherboard are you using and which drive is it?
This is true, which is why there are no harddrives that come with a driver disk.

Last time I fitted a Sata drive - it took me ages to locate the raid drivers to make it work with windows XP.
Now I have a VISTA based acer PC - and the HDD isn't even showing in the bios. Can any recommend a SATA HDD - that comes with a driver disk - Hoping I won't need it - as it may be easier with Vista (you don't say that very often:))
Try going into "Administrative Tools", then "Disc Management".With an unformatted drive, Vista, and Win 7 also I believe, actually force you add the drive manually.

You don't need drivers. both Vista and Win7 will add their own drivers to run SATA as SATA, or more properly AHCI.

Your new drive won't appear in "Computer", until it actually has been formatted.

Boot into BIOS first, just to be certain that it's been detected there.

Well when istalling XP - it wouldn't do the install - until I did that F6 keystroke and pointed - it the drivers on the floppy disk - which it took me ages to find.
If it plugs and plays - I am happy. Last drive was a MDT - thinking western digital this time

Back