Google’s plans for Chrome keep moving forward

Julio Franco

Staff member

As noted last week, Google's Chrome browser usage has risen to 16.2 percent according to the latest stats for desktop and laptop computers released by Net Applications. If this growth continues, it could see the browser break the 20 percent mark as early as the New Year and with that drop Firefox to the third place for the first time ever.

Safari was the only other browser to see growth in the last month, sitting in fourth place at 5.02 percent.  Microsoft's Internet Explorer continued its expected decline, now at 54.39 percent.

Speaking at the company's Zeitgeist conference last month, chief executive Larry Page said the browser now has over 160 million users worldwide, a staggering number considering the browser is only in its third year of existence. In the last 12 months, Chrome has risen from 8.24 percent to its current 16.2 percent position.

Google also opened its first UK store this past weekend. The so-called Chrome Zone is located within the Currys and PC World superstore in Tottenham Court Road, London, offering visitors a chance to see and try out the new Samsung Chromebook - the first laptop to be sold running Google's Chrome OS.

In somewhat related news, Google announced on Friday that it plans to build a new datacenter in Dublin, Ireland. Google believes Ireland's cooler climate provides the ideal geographical location for its new 11-acre datacenter, creating 230 jobs. The new center will help with demand for cloud data storage, power searches, Gmail and Google Maps.

Permalink to story.

I don't like where this Chrome OS is going, its an incredible closed OS.

Wouldn't be better to start a noob termination campaign?

This company is like ancient Rome - it will fall under it's own weight. Chrome was amusing for few months, but i reverted to FF because of some annoyances, Google Earth is unusable since version 5.2, and every month or so they ask my 12 year old brother if He didn't want to take control of my Gmail box because we uses same machine to access Internet (Is it legal anyway to track users and computers from which they log-in?)

I use Chrome at work on my old clunker of a PC just because it seems to run a lot better. Although the new FF7 runs quite well on it.

Personal preference wise and at home, I prefer FF just for a few features. FF feels more native to me but that's just personal preference. Everyone will enjoy different things.

I guess the main thing to take away from this is that at least IE is on the decline :)

Although my primary browser is Opera, I also dabble in the pre-release versions of Chrome and Firefox. Currently, I find the Aurora and Nightly versions of Firefox to be faster than the Chrome 15 Beta with the added benefit of being able to run a 64-bit version of Firefox Nightly in my Windows 7 PC.

Back