Google enters the US auto industry with insurance comparison shopping site

Shawn Knight

Staff member

google compare auto insurance travelocity expedia insurance car insurance google compare google compare for auto insurance comparison shopping the zebra

Google on Thursday entered the automotive industry – not with a self-driving vehicle but rather, it wants to sell you insurance for your existing ride.

First rumored in January, Google Compare for Auto Insurance is more or less an aggregator for auto insurance designed to help shoppers make a more informed decision when courting providers. Think of it as the Expedia for Travelocity of auto insurance.

The interface allows users to easily compare apples-to-apples rates from agencies across the country and add in additional variables like a higher or lower deductible or additional vehicles with ease.

Google has been offering a similar service in the UK since 2012 that allows users to compare more than 125 auto insurance options. The search giant takes a cut for its service when a user signs up for a policy either online or by phone which is presumably what’ll happen in the US.

Google Compare is currently only available to California residents although the search giant said it will be rolling the service out to other states in the near future. The company is also planning to introduce ratings and review systems so buyers will feel even more confident in selecting a provider.

Insurance comparison sites are popular in Europe but not so much in the US as laws dictate that the entity providing a quote must also be licensed to sell. That’s currently what’s holding Google back from launching in other states at the moment.

Not all providers are eager to jump on the Google bandwagon, however. As The Zebra (now a rival comparison site of Google’s) CEO Adam Lyons tells USA Today, Google Compare is only interested in focusing on price instead of educating the consumer about things like policy features and claims ratings.

Permalink to story.

Yeah, it's still all about the money. I have yet to see ANY of these sites that don't want to collect all your data BEFORE they will show you a quote, thus telling me we have all already been profiled so nobody is going to get a better deal, probably just a more expensive one. I would like to see congress pass a law that says once the insurance company accepts you the MUST live by the policy without exceptions or deduction of coverage. Call it the "a deal is a deal" clause so these slimy people can't get out from under their promises .....

Yeah, it's still all about the money. I have yet to see ANY of these sites that don't want to collect all your data BEFORE they will show you a quote, thus telling me we have all already been profiled so nobody is going to get a better deal, probably just a more expensive one. I would like to see congress pass a law that says once the insurance company accepts you the MUST live by the policy without exceptions or deduction of coverage. Call it the "a deal is a deal" clause so these slimy people can't get out from under their promises .....

Well... they do need to know about your driving history before they can quote you insurance. That's sort of how it works.
You don't need to worry about them ripping you off. You can leave extremely easily. This google service will only make it easier to jump ship on an insurance company. When you do, they'll usually even call your old insurance for you and cancel. I switch insurance every 18 months or so. Usually every year they raise their rates and hope you don't notice. When that happens I switch, it's so easy there's no reason not to.

Google Compare is currently only available to California residents
What a surprise.... *sigh*

I won't trust online Search Engine for Vehicle Insurance. Plus more money for him to grown Soon It's just going to be Google Walmart, Google Shell .Seems everything going Google Mcdonlds. So Google has grown so large. Google Bank..

Misleading title. Google is NOT in the auto industry. They just entered the insurance business. Get it straight or consider going into used car sales. They could use more mis-info like yours.

Misleading title. Google is NOT in the auto industry. They just entered the insurance business. Get it straight or consider going into used car sales. They could use more mis-info like yours.
its a very vague term. translate it as you will. no need to be so salty.

I won't trust online Search Engine for Vehicle Insurance. Plus more money for him to grown Soon It's just going to be Google Walmart, Google Shell .Seems everything going Google Mcdonlds. So Google has grown so large. Google Bank..
It's a giant tech co. so it's not at all surprising so I wouldn't be at all surprised if I heard that Google, MS & Apple control 9/10th's of the entire planets GDP.

Not all providers are eager to jump on the Google bandwagon, however. As The Zebra (now a rival comparison site of Google) CEO Adam Lyons tells USA Today, Google Compare is only interested in focusing on price instead of educating the consumer about things like policy features and claims ratings.
Well, that seems like a bad idea.. If you ONLY want minimum coverage (which a lot of people do) then it is probably good. Want any more coverage and this doesn't seem to be of any use.

I tried it. It couldn't save me money. The closest quote was more than $25 higher per month that what I pay now. ($305 vs $465) I have a clean driving record going back 15+ years, and drive 7 miles to work, and garage my car at night. Anyone taking my money for car insurance is stealing money from my pocket. But it's the law that I must have car insurance.

Google has had this feature available in the UK for a while now, its not new.

Sounds good. Google everything. :)

Back