Google launches 1Gbps Fiber network in Kansas City, unveils TV service

Jos

Staff

Google has officially flipped the switch on its first self-built, high-speed citywide network today. Lucky residents of Kansas City on both sides of the Kansas - Missouri state line are now able to get 1,000 Mbps download and upload speeds with no monthly bandwidth caps and no overages. The service also includes 1TB of cloud storage, access to a new Google Fiber Television service, and a few other goodies.

Google’s TV service includes traditional channels from major broadcast networks, "hundreds of fiber channels”, on-demand content from services such as Netflix and YouTube, and optional premium movie channels for an additional fee. It offers a fully searchable interface and DVR functionality for up to 500 hours of HD content.

google fiber

Several TVs within the home can tune in at the same time by hooking each of them up to a small set-top box that also acts as a wireless hotspot. Additionally each home installation requires a Network Box, which offers gigabit routing, Wi-Fi, four ethernet ports, and "simple network management,” and an identical looking Storage Box with 2TB of space to serve as the DVR for all devices in the house.

Google is also making a remote app for iOS and Android tablets that will support video streaming in an upcoming version, and they’re even throwing in a Nexus 7 at no extra charge with every TV package.

There’s an initial $300 construction fee to get the fiber installed at your house but Google is currently waiving it and offering three different packages: Gigabit Internet + TV for $120 a month, an Internet-only plan for $70 a month, and the option to pay the $300 construction fee and get 5Mbps internet access for free for "at least" seven years. Key institutions are getting the full gigabit access for free as well.

Google will deploy the fiber network in areas where there is most interest first. Kansas City residents can vote on where the next rollout should be by paying a $10 fee to preregister.

Permalink to story.

SOPA...........................................A duck lot of money.
PIPA.............................................Another duck lot of money.
120MB/s new private internet.......*Trollface*

Also like the bunny =D

Now that's some speed there..Plus! at a really really great price. Minus the $300 upfront money.
1TB cloud storage to boot. A lot more than ANY other company offering cloud storage.
$70 buck for just internet is awesome.Hope other ISP's wake to the over charging they are doing for there service. Like Verizon's 300 mbps at $210,which now seems over priced.Comcast 305mbps which cost a arm and a leg too..Plus there is NO data caps or overage charges either..
Win win for the consumer in KC.

The free market wins again. If government had complete control of the Internet we'd all be on dialup.
You may want to keep your gift of seeing the future for alternate timelines a secret, before you are subjected to government-sponsored experiments.

Shhh....

That Infrastructure and speed and of course Will cannot be matched by the richest man on earth...Carlos Slim!!! Google should get this on other countries as well

I am so jealous. My dedicated server only gets a 100mbps line.

I really hope they are able to expand this throughout the US within the next couple years. I pay $71/month to comcast for 20/4 (or something like that) service. It's so frustrating to witness and be subjected to how cable and cellular companies are extorting customers.

Exciting news!

The faster Google can expand availability of this service, the sooner greedy cable and cellular corporations will feel the pressure to be competitive and bring their prices down from the clouds.

Thumbs up and +1 Google
TY

If Google can pull this off and expand nation wide, I'll have no choice but to change my attitude towards Google.

As it currently stands, I see no reason to support Google over other competitors with anything they have to offer.

The average user will never benefit from this speed other than bragging rights. Should be reserved only for us power users that download large files (Blu Ray torrents at 4GB+ at a time just an example). But the average joe smo with their 2 yr old HP desktop with a 19 inch display they picked up at walmart for $399, no not needed.

The average user will never benefit from this speed other than bragging rights. Should be reserved only for us power users that download large files (Blu Ray torrents at 4GB+ at a time just an example).
Since you are isolating yourself from the average "joe smo", you should not complain about overages charged to your bandwidth usage. Everyone is equally as deserving of this higher bandwidth. The way one decides to use the bandwidth is irrelevant, that is if you want to pay the same price.

The average user will never benefit from this speed other than bragging rights. Should be reserved only for us power users that download large files (Blu Ray torrents at 4GB+ at a time just an example). But the average joe smo with their 2 yr old HP desktop with a 19 inch display they picked up at walmart for $399, no not needed.

What does the age of their desktop and their display size have to do with internet speeds? And besides, today most users are what you describe as "power users". Seriously, do you know anybody between the ages of 15 and 30 who doesn't download multiple movies, songs, and apps at the same time while also streaming movies all while the rest of their family is using the internet at the same time? Regardless of their computer's specs they'd probably notice the difference.

It saddens me to think it cost $70 (Only gets me 30mbps and a 120GB monthly cap) for my current ISP package and $120 for TV alone. This is the not so free market I have to deal with in Quebec. Videotron has their monopoly and so does Bell, Google should come here and destroy Videotron's empire, or at least force them to wake up and smell the customers they're burning. As soon as this is available around here I'm switching, not like this will happen in the next 5 years unfortunately. Also jokes on the term "power user" the term is thrown around so much these days that it use has become almost meaningless. It should be interesting to see how Gigabit internet and piracy are going to mingle.

Holy mother!! I want it NOW! please roll this out at a faster rate! like X100 faster!!
Fight the "establishment"!! lol

The free market wins again. If government had complete control of the Internet we'd all be on dialup.

You're wrong. Get to know the world... In Lithuania we have 100Mbps fiber broadband with no caps from like 2008's or earlier (you are able to get it in all cities. And from the 2011 spring you can get 300Mbps with no caps in more than 90% towns and cities. I bet something like that is in Japan... So do your interferences, mate.

This might be a little over kill for my home use (although I would still love to have it :D). But it would be WONDERFUL for work! I mean I love our 30mb by 5mb connection, but we move a lot of data around.

Things like this make me sad to live in the Montana tho. I wont see this until its standard for 90%of the US. :( Guess that's the trade off for not having to deal with a crap ton of people.

No your wrong... Get to know your world. Your countries entire surface area comes close to 1/3 of just the surface area of Texas. When you have to create an infrastructure across the entire USA its a little more daunting than that of a small country. Even your reference too Japan is not even on the same scale as their cities are more densely populated than ours.

Back