Google's mysterious Fuchsia OS is being tested on the Pixelbook

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Google has been developing a new operating system for well over a year now. While nothing has been said officially about Fuchsia, the project is of the open-source variety which means it’s publicly visible.

Google isn’t yet ready to clue us in on its intentions but the project is seemingly moving forward as the Pixelbook was recently added as an officially supported device for testing the OS. As Android Police highlights, Fuchsia’s documentation additionally lists the Acer Switch Alpha 12 and Intel NUC as officially supported “target” devices, meaning the OS has been verified to work on these devices.

Those interested in experimenting with Fuchsia on the Pixelbook can follow this tutorial on how to put the device into developer mode and boot from USB.

Just last week, Google removed the Pixel-C from its online store. The Android 2-in-1 was unveiled in September 2015 but due to its age, Google saw fit to retire it.

The Pixelbook, meanwhile, was unveiled at Google’s press event in early October 2017 alongside the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones. The high-end Chromebook looks stunning although at a starting price of $999, it’s more laptop (and perhaps way more Chromebook) than most buyers need or want.

Many believe Fuchsia will be used to power wearables, mobile devices and IoT gadgets but the possibility of bringing it to desktops is very real. Heck, it could even replace Android one day. For now, however, we’ll have to be content with what Google gives us and keep our fingers crossed that this isn’t simply another Google pet project that’ll never materialize.

Permalink to story.

Well, call me lo tech. or old fashioned, but I don't consider anything Google has produced thus far, a "viable operating system".

An "operating system", (at least to me), is something which will still operate a computer, without being connected to the internet, and also something which doesn't require Google's corporate nose up your individual behind while in use. Neither "Android", or "Chrome", meet that criterion.

As a matter of fact, I bought a cheap tablet with Android on it. All I wanted to do, was to use it as a simple photo display. ("A digital photo frame, if you will). Imagine my surprise, after using Windows for well over a decade, the little piece of crap wouldn't even do that.

In short, Android and Chrome, (IMHO), a just a very small step above a BIOS ROM.

And really, do we actually need another "privacy attack vector",for Google to try and control our lives any more?

In the meantime, before this likely latest affront to personal privacy debuts, grab one of these:

6082194_sd.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550

And take it into the potty with you.. After all, do you think it's really fair to Google, for them not to know, how many sheets you use when you wipe?

Back