GPU Availability and Pricing Update: December 2021

Posting in advance in order to respond to that Miner guy who comes here and posts that ""ThE MiNeRs ArE mAkInG mY gPu ToO ExPeNsIvE" folk are wrong".

No, it's not "console gamers who went PC for the 1st time" who are responsible for the GPU shortage. It's you Miners and Miners like Jax Davidson.

aicXPnp.jpg

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/mining-farm-walkthrough-full-rtx-3070

Realistically, the only winner here is Nvidia, AMD and the other big tech companies - regardless of scalping or mining. The other winner is their investors as many of them pay Dividends.

It's sad, most GPU buyers now will spend way over MSRP whether they want to or not.

During Black Friday, I observed a plethora of cards: 3060, 3060Ti, 3070, 3080, 3080Ti...AMD Red Devils... but all of them were wayyyy overpriced due to the market price adjustment and inflation since December 2020.

Any 3080Ti buyer will spend more on their Ti than I spent on my 3090FTW3 cards.

Posting in advance in order to respond to that Miner guy who comes here and posts that ""ThE MiNeRs ArE mAkInG mY gPu ToO ExPeNsIvE" folk are wrong".

No, it's not "console gamers who went PC for the 1st time" who are responsible for the GPU shortage. It's you Miners and Miners like Jax Davidson.

aicXPnp.jpg

The opportunity cost of buying a GPU vs. selling one is so high that even the regular gamers will scalp their cards to get a profit if they can.

If not for the fact that I love my machine's capabilities so much, I could easily snatch my 3090 cards out of their sockets and rebox them to sell on Ebay for at least $500 more than I bought them - even used.

That kind of market can turn anyone into a scalper.

If a Crypto miner came to me right now and offered me $8000, I'd sell.

The RTX 2060 is a card for mining because that's who Nvidia's customer is now. They claim they want cards in the hands of gamers, but they've done as little as possible to make that happen.

Last edited:
The opportunity cost of buying a GPU vs. selling one is so high that even the regular gamers will scalp their cards to get a profit if they can.

If not for the fact that I love my machine's capabilities so much, I could easily snatch my 3090 cards out of their sockets and rebox them to sell on Ebay for at least $500 more than I bought them - even used.

That kind of market can turn anyone into a scalper.

If a Crypto miner came to me right now and offered me $8000, I'd sell.

This is exactly why I sold my RTX 1070. I got $500 for a 5 year old, used GPU. That was the MSRP when it was bought!

So now I'm gaming on a 1060 gaming laptop (from 2017; in bad shape) and consoles.

The RTX 2060 is a card for mining because that's who Nvidia's customer is now. They claim they want cards in the hands of gamers, but they've done as little as possible to make that happen.
at some point I wonder if major game publishers can put some pressure on them to actually sell to gamers. Personally I'm not a fan of game streaming too, I want to run my own hardware

Realistically, the only winner here is Nvidia, AMD and the other big tech companies - regardless of scalping or mining. The other winner is their investors as many of them pay Dividends.

It's sad, most GPU buyers now will spend way over MSRP whether they want to or not.

During Black Friday, I observed a plethora of cards: 3060, 3060Ti, 3070, 3080, 3080Ti...AMD Red Devils... but all of them were wayyyy overpriced due to the market price adjustment and inflation since December 2020.

Any 3080Ti buyer will spend more on their Ti than I spent on my 3090FTW3 cards.
The third winner, the one not looking for a new GPU.

I predict in the future we will likely have:

- Fake shortages and fearmongering to increase the price
- Increased prices of GPUs because "still better than what it was during the pandemic/shortage"
- People accepting raised prices because they can't wait any longer
- People opting for high-end GPUs because during the shortage an entry-level GPU used to cost that much.

My three cards have only been making about $10/day rather than the $15/day they used to make. If that holds GPU prices will drop in Q1. Not a crazy drop like anything near MSRP, but back under 2X MSRP.

aicXPnp.jpg

Right, PlayStations are also more expensive because... miners. I guess the same goes for cars. Used cars, too.

It's scalpers and supply chain issues, dude.

I’ve given up. I find the idea of paying more than $300 or so on a GPU absurd. And I should be getting 3060 performance for that cash. Instead I doubt I’d get anything better than my existing 5 year old RX480.

I’m not poor, I could go and sink thousands of dollars on a 3080ti or whatever but I just don’t think it’s worth it. I game maybe 10 hours a week.

At least my Nintendo switch is getting used again!

aicXPnp.jpg

Who's mining on the Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series S/X consoles? There's a shortage of those as well.

I’ve given up. I find the idea of paying more than $300 or so on a GPU absurd. And I should be getting 3060 performance for that cash. Instead I doubt I’d get anything better than my existing 5 year old RX480.

I’m not poor, I could go and sink thousands of dollars on a 3080ti or whatever but I just don’t think it’s worth it. I game maybe 10 hours a week.

At least my Nintendo switch is getting used again!
Prebuild/Laptops are still viable and come with a discount, I know not idle but much better than nothing.

Prebuild/Laptops are still viable and come with a discount, I know not idle but much better than nothing.
Can’t stand them. A fiend of mine recently purchased a supposedly decent 3060 laptop and the thing is so loud it’s ridiculous. And this one reviewers apparently said was one of the quieter ones! It was still £1000. That’s a lot of money, more than I am interested in spending just to play some computer games.

Last edited:
No real change then. Before reading last month's article and its very interesting comments I was certain I would never buy a GPU at these inflated prices... now I'm not so sure. Under current market conditions, which seem likely to persist for some time, I guess the question we should be asking is; if I buy a GPU and then put it to work mining how quickly can I recover the scalper's premium so I get the card I want at MSRP and can I do that without damaging the card?

I was never desperate for a new card after getting a 1660-Super in a prebuilt and moving to my self built, but after more than a year, I finally was up for the EVGA program. Even though I thought for sure I signed up for the 3060 Ti, I was offered a regular 3060. Well, I went ahead and got it but even directly from EVGA, they are selling above MSRP @$399 plus a full $14.xx for shipping. I'm fairly underwhelmed, honestly. It did come with excellent cooling and thermal paste and it does overclock decently but the value isn't there. It really feels like a $299 card to me and I just might flip it since I'm not gaming much any more.

The slogan of the great reset gives insight. 'You will own nothing. You will be happy.' The end of cumsumerism as we once knew it is fast approaching. A large part of it will be the end of materialism. These corps don't want to sell you products. They want to sell you services and subscriptions. At some point gaming on the cloud will be the only way to game. There will be consoles after the current gen, but they will be streaming portals only. Not hardware cappable of running games directly off them.

Last edited:
Right, PlayStations are also more expensive because... miners. I guess the same goes for cars. Used cars, too.

It's scalpers and supply chain issues, dude.
These are the consequences of free-for-all market and greed for money without work.

The slogan of the great reset gives insight. 'You will own nothing. You will be happy.' The end of cumsumerism as we once knew it is fast approaching. A large part of it will be the end of materialism. These corps don't want to sell you products. They want to sell you services and subscriptions. At some point gaming on the cloud will be the only way to game. There will be consoles after the current gen, but they will be streaming portals only. Not hardware cappable of running games directly off them.
"You will own nothing. You will be happy." That is Neo-Marxist propaganda coming from noobs and hipsters from the West who have not suffered under Communism.

Back