GPU Availability and Pricing Update: November 2021

"it’s just that the actual prices of those GPUs are inflated due to a variety of market pressures we’ve been talking about for months now"

Hahahaha, disinformation has reached Project Blue Book levels.
God forbid we mention the Miners.

I don't think prices will go down. nVidia/AMD/Intel report record revenues.
In 2010s They've learnt that price wars are no good for Them, now They learning that keeping supply lower then demand is even better for Them. Add to that that western politicians started dissing Chinese companies, and soon electronics will be back luxury goods.
I suppose it's time to find another hobby then gaming and consumer electronics gadgets, at least for another few years.

I ended up buying a Lenovo Legion 5 Pro with the 3070 and 5800h on sale 2 months ago for $1700. It has like 75% the performance of the desktop 3070, and it's a nice laptop as well. Coming from a laptop with a GTX 1060 and i7-7700hq, it's a huge improvement.

The value is even better for lower end gaming laptops with GTX 1650-1650ti where the performance is the same as the desktop versions but with better efficiency.

I think the best option for buying desktop GPUs is buying them on or near original release date. I might try to buy one of the Intel GPUs the same day that they release.

So glad I got a couple of cards at low (close to MSRP) off newegg shuffle.

I'm very tempted to give the 3060Ti to my brother and take his 5700 XT and sell it at the prices folks are buying them at. That way he gets something better, performance-wise and I can easily recoup my $470 on the 3060Ti and pay off about 2/3 of the 3080 I recently got.

Around a grand for the 5700XT or up to $950 for a 3060Ti......holy crap these prices are stupid.

I would be crying myself to sleep if I bought any GPU at these inflated prices, not because of the money, but because of the stupidity needed to pull a move like that.
I bought a 3080 for $2400 because I wanted it. -shrug-

The funny thing, though, is that it has already paid for itself mining when I am not gaming... so perhaps "the stupidity" is waiting for prices to come down rather than adapting to market conditions.

The funny thing, though, is that it has already paid for itself mining when I am not gaming... so perhaps "the stupidity" is waiting for prices to come down rather than adapting to market conditions.
See, when once I got scammed I didn't care about the money, it's the act of it that bothered me and I managed to get that money back but it didn't change the feeling.

You need around 12 months of farming in total with that card to pay it self off, depending on your electricity bill. The card is barely 12 months old.

"if you’re a GPU buyer you’ll be crying yourself to sleep"

nah, not A SINGLE tear over here, keeping my money, and sending a clear message: GTFO NVIDIA / AMD

Not a clear message at all when there are plenty of people lining up everywhere to replace you.

I'm not saying you did not get it paid off. Tell me how though, please?

In 2040 I'll be explaining what technology was to my grandkids. In 2080 kids in school will be learning that flying and talking to be people across the globe using a magic called technology was just old myths.

While the prices are inflated, anyone has seen an review of 12600k vs 5600g about the onboard graphics and gaming on low? Haven't seen any review about that yet.

I bought an RTX 2080 in March 2020 for £500 new but with a ripped box, I got it because I got locked down and my RX580 was struggling/crashing generally being an appalling solution lol.

Fast forward to now and on Monday I will find out if I am permanently moving to Malta, if so this card will be on eBay. And currently they sell for more than I paid for it. So that means I will have been paid to game on an RTX card during the pandemic and GPU shortage.

Silver linings and everything chaps. Of course I’m going to miss PC gaming but Malta has other things I can be distracted with and I’ve still got my Nintendo Switch!

I'm not saying you did not get it paid off. Tell me how though, please?
I downloaded NiceHash and was mining ether in minutes being paid in Bitcoin (Tom's Hardware has a nice intro piece). NiceHash takes a small cut for the making it simple you can avoid that fee if you want to soend a lot of time digging into how mine.

It varies due to changing crypto prices but the 3080 makes about $8/day so after 300 days it paid me back. (Range I have seen is $5-15/day but it is usually around $8)

Back