'Grand Theft Auto V' heading to next-gen consoles this fall, PC version delayed until 2015

Shawn Knight

Staff member

grand theft auto ps4 xbox gaming pc gta 5 xbox one gta v

It’s been nearly a year since Grand Theft Auto V hit the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Many wondered how long it’d take Rockstar to port the title to next-gen consoles and the PC. After nearly a year wait, we finally have a solid launch date in hand.

Rockstar on Friday announced that Grand Theft Auto V will arrive on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 18. Unfortunately, PC gamers will have to wait until early 2015 – January 27, to be exact – to get their hands on the title.

The good news, however, is that these new releases will feature a range of major visual and technical upgrades that’ll make the in-game environment more immersive than ever.

In addition to increased draw distances and a higher resolution, gamers can expect to see new weapons, vehicles, activities, additional wildlife, denser traffic, a new foliage system, enhanced damage / weather effects and enhanced radio selections with more than 100 new songs.

What’s more, those that per-order the game will receive $1 million in-game bonus cash to spend across the main game and Grand Theft Auto Online ($500k for each game). If you’ve already played the game, you know that it can be hard to come across cash early on in the game.

Do you plan to pick up a copy of GTA V for a next-gen console or will you be holding out for the PC version?

Permalink to story.

I bet Rockstar got paid a really pretty penny to delay the PC version. But guess what, I have plenty of other games so waiting won't be a problem.
In fact, I may just get over the game altogether and never buy it; we'll see.

Looks like Rockstar's marketing department is asleep at the switch or they don't bother reading the grades. All indications are that the game machines are leveling off in sales while PC's are picking up fast again. Maybe what is needed is a letter writing campaign or more to the point, a boycott of their games for awhile. Since they didn't bother to make the announcement to the general public with a good reason, it certainly appears that don't give a hoot about PC owners!

I'm going to wait to see if it actually has that much of a graphical enhancement on the PS4 compared to PS3. If it doesn't look that good I don't think it's worth buying when I already have Watchdogs

Great way to boost sales! Release on PS3 and 360, everyone buys it. Then re-release on next gen consoles a year later so everyone re-buys it. Finally delay PC release so PC gamers get impatient and purchase on console. They know PC gamers will buy again on PC once it's released. Great marketing scheme, sneaky, but it makes a lot of sense financially.

Nope. I'll wait until it hits the $10 bargain-basement sales for the PC. And even then depending on reviews.

Looks like Rockstar's marketing department is asleep at the switch or they don't bother reading the grades. All indications are that the game machines are leveling off in sales while PC's are picking up fast again. Maybe what is needed is a letter writing campaign or more to the point, a boycott of their games for awhile. Since they didn't bother to make the announcement to the general public with a good reason, it certainly appears that don't give a hoot about PC owners!

I'd settle for a digitally distributed AO version of Manhunt 3. ;)

When I buy a game two years after the premiere I expect it to be properly discounted. I think $15 sounds just right. Every couch potato already played it, it's been spoiled all over the internet, and most of the time I've already seen walkthrough videos on YT. Of course R is planning to earn another billion $ off of it. So I wouldn't count that proper gamers will see it before next Xmas. My experience with GTAIV on 360 was so mediocre that I won't try it again. Maybe I'll have to pass 5 and all future GTAs altogether. If money is the most important to the developer it's usually warning sign anyway. Was true with NFS, SplinterCell COD and few others. Real shame.

And what do you think a PC boycott will achieve, hmm?
They will look at the PC sales figures drop, think to themselves 'Hey, nobody plays on the PC anymore. Why bother?'

If the PC version is being ported from next gen consoles, hopefully it is a noticeable improvement over past ports.

Well I'm hoping the delay on PC is to polish the game so it isn't a poorly optimized hunk of crap that GTA 4 is. I love the GTA games, and I will buy this, but maybe not until the bugs get sorted out. I will never pre-order a game again, been burned a couple times and I'm done. I just want a damn PC game that works.

Regardless of the negative emotion around here... I am happy they are releasing a PC version of the game. I just wish they had PLANNED on and worked on releasing it with the original release. This whole wait a year thing is kind of absurd.

As a PC gamer I feel insulted. It feel like we are second rate peasant. It's not that they are giving the game for free. sheesh.

No one is commenting on this, but I will. I think Rockstar wants to skip holiday sales. Steam and many others do sale during the previous period. Releasing on the end of Jan. they have a lot of time to profit before the first sale come in. It might backfire due to Witcher 3 and BF Hardline (hahahahaha) coming out in Feb.

I better get it for a $10 upgrade from the ps3 version or I'm not going anywhere near this game, not even when it hits the bargain bin for $5....played it...beat it...and online is terrible

I have a feeling the PC version will just run like crap. R* has never been known for good engines, and GTA4 was an utter performance mess as well. Either this delay is because they're taking the time to do stuff, or are getting paid for something that wont really change console sales at all.

I certainly won't pre order it, I'll wait until it comes on sale at Steam so it looks like I still have a pretty long wait. It doesn't matter to me.

And what do you think a PC boycott will achieve, hmm?
They will look at the PC sales figures drop, think to themselves 'Hey, nobody plays on the PC anymore. Why bother?'

Well, like I said, they arn't paying attention to the sales figures. PC games are back on the rise again!

Back