"Grand Theft Auto V" to get first-person mode on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

grand theft auto xbox playstation gaming pc rockstar playstation 4 gta 5 xbox one gta v gtav first-person mode

Grand Theft Auto 5 was one of the biggest and most successful video game launches of all-time when it dropped late last year, an impressive feat when you consider it wasn’t – and still isn’t – available on next generation consoles and the PC.

That’s all set to change in the near future and when it does arrive, it’ll include a feature that simply wasn’t possible on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 due to technical reasons.

Rockstar Games has confirmed that GTA V for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC will have the much-rumored (and even envisioned) first-person mode.

grand theft auto xbox playstation gaming pc rockstar playstation 4 gta 5 xbox one gta v gtav first-person mode

In a recent interview, animation director Rob Nelson said they felt like one of the most compelling things they could do to make an experience people have already had feel different was to include a first-person mode. It is a very intense, in-your-face experience… literally.

To create the first-person mode, Rockstar had to “pretty much change everything” to do it the right way, Nelson added. Virtually everything you interact with in the game had to be adjusted.

For example, when you sit down in a car, you’ll see a functional dashboard complete with speedometer, tachometer and even the title of the song playing on the stereo. Hop on a motorcycle and your character will put on a helmet, effectively limiting your field of view and suppressing ambient noise just as it does in the real world.

If you wondered why it took so long for the game to be ported to newer consoles and the PC, first-person mode is likely the answer. But it doesn’t stop there as Rockstar has added a wealth of other improvements including improved graphics, longer draw distances, more wildlife and denser traffic, just to name a few.

GTA V is set to arrive on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on November 18. PC gamers, unfortunately, will have to wait until January of next year to get in on the action.

Permalink to story.

Maybe with a first person mode the game will actually be playable.

One of the things that's pissed me off for literally over a decade about Rockstar games is that they really don't understand how to make a game where the characters move well. Every last one of their games has wonky controls. Every game is a fight between you and the camera system. I like a lot of these games even. I really want to love the GTA series, but it's just frustrating to play. The problem comes from the fact that every game Rockstar makes is in the 3rd person. 3rd person works for platformers, it doesn't work for games where you have to aim and shoot at things.

It's my own personal beef, no one has to agree with me. Maybe it will be worth playing with the new perspective.

Maybe with a first person mode the game will actually be playable.

One of the things that's pissed me off for literally over a decade about Rockstar games is that they really don't understand how to make a game where the characters move well. Every last one of their games has wonky controls. Every game is a fight between you and the camera system. I like a lot of these games even. I really want to love the GTA series, but it's just frustrating to play. The problem comes from the fact that every game Rockstar makes is in the 3rd person. 3rd person works for platformers, it doesn't work for games where you have to aim and shoot at things.

It's my own personal beef, no one has to agree with me. Maybe it will be worth playing with the new perspective.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on GTA. After GTA III on my Xbox, and San Andreas on PC, I just gave up because other than the actual driving sequences, the frustrating controls were taking the fun out of the games. Going to 1st person will definitely renew my interest, though.

As a pc gamer I was really looking forward to this a while back when it first came out and thought it was a must buy on day one of it's pc release. But now after a bit of time has passed my interest is decreasing and right this minute I'm just thinking meh as I read this article. Couple this with all the recent Ubisoft and Bethesda stories regarding pc games being artificially gimped at our expense and it's obvious to me that these companies aren't really too keen on taking my money.
Thank god though for the smaller devs such as frontier developments and their Elite dangerous game which I backed in beta and even spent extra for all future game expansions, €100 in total, or thereabouts. More than I have ever spent on any other game in fact. At least someone's doing something right.

I guess I just got use to the GTA controls and never had a need to complain, I always enjoyed the change compared to every first person game out there. Now it's just another open world FPS with regenerating health bars, that's nothing to be happy about. Especially when you already know the story and have beat the game, does it really give me a reason to replay it, not at all. Every other reason however does make me want to replay it, increased draw distance, more traffic, more detail. I'll still try the first person mode, but doubt I'll actually use it to play the game, maybe it's just me, but I actually find the third person camera to be useful for this type of game and have mastered it. Too bad for those who can't figure it out, it's really not hard to use.

Rockstar done it again. Amazing.

Now that they understand how to make a next-gen game, it's time to Red Dead Redemption 2.

This is the only game series I pay full price for. The controls have been frustrating true but I get used to how they work. It was most difficult to get used to on PC for GTA 4 but I did it. Looking forward to this game but not grabbing my crotch

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!! I've been looking forward to this game on PC for a year now. I don't have consoles and most likely never will. I've played all the GTA's since 3 and have loved most of them. I loved their Max Payne series as well, and I even used FPS mods on them to get more joy. While mods are cool it will be nice to have the real deal here, and it will actually work as it should.

I also have no problem waiting until January... as long as the thing works. I plan to buy this once it comes out, even if my poor old PC can't handle it yet at full res on max settings. At least that will give me a better excuse to upgrade right?

Back