Graphics card cooling... please share tips

Andrew Young

I have noticed my graphics card has become louder than it previously was........so I decided to put it through its paces using fur-mark and to my disappointment it was hitting max temps of 92degrees.

I have a tube of Arctic Silver lying around. So.....do I replace the cards stock paste or is there another trick that can help with cooling?

HIS HD6870......lightly overclocked
Gpu: 915mhz
Mem: 1135mhz

Furmark is specifically designed to stress test the card. Chances are high that you won't see this kind of stress in most games.

What kinds of cooling solution do you have in your case? Any side fans pointing to the GPU, sufficient airflow, etc?

You can always put your card through a good cleaning. Get rid of all the clogged dirt and dust. It will definitely lower the temps a little bit as well as quiet the card. All that's needed is a can of compressed air.

What temps are you getting while playing games?
Whats the temps on the rest of your components?

Replacing the TIM is a good idea in general if you are seeing high temps. For whatever reason most manufacturers cheap out on the thermal compound and it is almost always sloppily applied and way too much of it. You will most likely see a 5-7c drop in temps if you replace it. Remember thought to use the card and get it warm, and twist it of 'do not pull'.

I have a 120mm side fan blowing directly across the card but still get high temps. Unfortunately no intake fan.....my case runs open air. Its generic....cpu cooler wouldn't fit.

I will try blowing out any dust......hopefully this would help.

Gaming temps = around 75 - 80 degrees
Cpu Temp = below 55 degrees

Question: I warm up the card before replacing paste? That helps loosen the old paste right?

I have a 120mm side fan blowing directly across the card but still get high temps. Unfortunately no intake fan.....my case runs open air. Its generic....cpu cooler wouldn't fit.

I will try blowing out any dust......hopefully this would help.

Gaming temps = around 75 - 80 degrees
Cpu Temp = below 55 degrees

Question: I warm up the card before replacing paste? That helps loosen the old paste right?

Yup, and make sure to twist back and forth, don't pull straight up. also apply the new TIM like you would a CPU. Don't put it on like they do at the factory (way too much)

Back