Graphics card drivers

GLenn63

Has anyone noticed it's been 10 whole days since nvidea released a new driver...Just saying.....*nerd*

The driver update I'm waiting on is the one that will enable Nvidia to use adjustable BAR setting for PCIe. And to find out which chipsets will be supported. Current rumor is not encouraging that only latest Intel and AMD chipsets will be supported.

Current rumor is that AMD is actually assisting Nvidia in enabling adjustable BAR on AMD chipsets directly through a simple driver update, so that part seems lined up. But Intel has to expose the feature on their chipsets as well for it to work. Anyway you cut this, we're looking at firmware flashes for Intel motherboards. AMD chipsets already have the feature exposed apparently, so should be a simple driver update to Nvidia GPUs to enable it... once optimizations are accomplished.

IF AMD gets this up and working for Nvidia GPUs on AMD chipsets before Intel gets this up and working on their own, AMD will get to claim another victory in a way... Suddenly, Smart Access Memory works with AMD and Nvidia GPUs, only on AMD chipsets... Intel could take a significant hit in gaming mindshare over this if it plays out badly enough. Nvidia and AMD could really lay an ouchie on Intel here.

Edit - I should point out that Nvidia has no problem running boxes with AMD silicon for CPU, look at the latest quad A100 workstations with a 64 core/128 thread Epyc processor running them. HOWEVER, it need also be pointed out that Nvidia owns ARM now. A sneak attack with a sudden gaming oriented ARM processor out of Nvidia and dedicated gaming platform is not out of the question at this point. Keep an ear out for rumors around middle of this year for Nvidia cooking up an ARM based gaming CPU. Stranger things have happened...

The driver update I'm waiting on is the one that will enable Nvidia to use adjustable BAR setting for PCIe. And to find out which chipsets will be supported. Current rumor is not encouraging that only latest Intel and AMD chipsets will be supported.
If it is just the latest I probably would not benefit only having a 3600. Still it's great that the speed they are coming out with drivers these days. I'm some what of a newbie at how the hardware all works in a pc, is the bar setting dictating how fast the gpu's memory operates?

If it is just the latest I probably would not benefit only having a 3600. Still it's great that the speed they are coming out with drivers these days. I'm some what of a newbie at how the hardware all works in a pc, is the bar setting dictating how fast the gpu's memory operates?
Or how fast the cpu reads it?

Or how fast the cpu reads it?

It appears to be how much of the vram that a CPU can access in a single stream, is my limited understanding. The limit appears to be 256mb chunks normally by default, but this tweak apparently increases that limit by a dynamic amount, I think? Not totally sure on that part. But it does increase the amount significantly, improving performance.

AMD seems to believe this also requires a bit of fine tuning and optimizing to get the most out of, so we will see how that works out for Nvidia.

Back