Graphics card fan suddenly loud

Hey there. I built my PC a little under a year ago. Everything has been working perfectly until yesterday. All of the sudden, my graphics card's fan has been crazy loud. Like, its not a "fan running faster that usual" loud. It sounds like its having issues running as the sound also sometimes fluctuates/throbs , if you know what I mean.

At first, I could get it to stop by rocking my PC back and forth once or twice, and another time I did it on accident when I started to move the PC to get ready to open it.

I took out the card and got rid of as much dust as I could. It worked fine again for about 8 hours, then it started up again.

I've been reading on the internet where people are having the same problems and had to replace the fan. I'm hoping I don't have to do that as there doesn't seem to be a way to even open the graphics card up.

Here's a link to a video I recorded to show people the sound:

youtube[dot]com/watch?v=VHeqK8Z_x_E

It's a Radeon HD 5850.

The noise is seriously getting irritating as I can't even use the computer without it making noises. Not to mention that I'm worried I'll have to spend a lot of money to take care of the issue.

FYI, I'm not very hardware savvy.

Hi, to me that is common in CPU and Laptop CPU fan, it just suddenly loosens and you either need to open it and clean it or buy a new one, it happen more often in Laptops, but u should also know that will also happen if its up-side-down.
Best thing is to get a new one, but if u want you could try opening it and clean with an alcohol, then smear in a simple light grease... that will smoothen it again... but being that you are not a hardware savvy, then i thing get a new one...
Hope that helps

Hi, to me that is common in CPU and Laptop CPU fan, it just suddenly loosens and you either need to open it and clean it or buy a new one, it happen more often in Laptops, but u should also know that will also happen if its up-side-down.
Best thing is to get a new one, but if u want you could try opening it and clean with an alcohol, then smear in a simple light grease... that will smoothen it again... but being that you are not a hardware savvy, then i thing get a new one...
Hope that helps

As I said, its not the CPU. Its the graphics card's fan. Like I showed in the video, if I tap the fan, the noise stops, showing that that is the fan making the noise. I also mentioned that I have checked to see if it is loose (it wasn't).

I meant GPU fan the one you tapped, and i also told you that that happens alot in laptop CPU fans.
If you can, just flip it so that the fan look up... u will see the sound reducing or totally disappearing...
As for Loose, you can't tell when its loose or not, it just happens...
Try that n see...

I meant GPU fan the one you tapped, and i also told you that that happens alot in laptop CPU fans.
If you can, just flip it so that the fan look up... u will see the sound reducing or totally disappearing...
As for Loose, you can't tell when its loose or not, it just happens...
Try that n see...

Flip it upside down? How would I do that? It can only go in the one way.

Ok then if you can't i suggest buying a new fan... But if you don't believe me, please take it back if you still have you warranty...

Out for now

Update: Please read this post you could be helped there... i have to sleep its 1:42am here...

Hope that helps bro

What temperatures are being reported when the graphics card fan is running fast? You can use the freeware GPU-Z for this purpose. Does the fan run fast before Windows starts as well as after?

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the fan into its own connector on the graphics card?

Watched the video, sounds like a dry fan bearing to me. Just needs the cover taking off the card, get some grease in the fan spindle if possible. But some experience of the same problem with my Radeon x1650 pro, meant I had to prise up the fan with a small screwdriver from each side. I put a mixture of oil and graphite on the metal spindle, push the fan back on and all was well. Note that WD40 is easy to apply into the spindle, but it's not an oil, and the noise will return after a few days.
*If it proves impossible to remove the fan, another idea might be to stop the fan running by removing the red/black wire and plug from where it takes power from the graphic card. Then buy a new fan and fit it on top of the existing one, outside the graphic card cover. Take power from anywhere in the pc you can make a proper connection.

Back