Graphics card help!

Vista 64 bit
I just installed avi radeon 1950x pro and when i turn my computer on, it does short beeps over and over again. How can I fix this?

i'm using the same card in one of my computers... try a different set of 64-bit drivers for Vista. does the computer boot up normally without the drivers installed? the x1950 pro is considered to be an end-of-life product so the latest graphics drivers may not work properly with your operating system.

From your description it sounds to me that this beeping is occurring before Windows is starting. If so, Windows drivers wouldn't be the problem.

I could be wrong but it sounds as if you didn't install the external PCI-E power connector to the graphics card. Did you?

^Good call; I'm willing to bet the card isn't getting ample power. I forgot the X1950 uses a 6-pin PCIe adapter and not the usual 4-pin molex that is traditionally found on AGP graphics cards. If I'm correct the card should have shipped with an adapter that allows you to use any power supply.

Hmm, i think 2 adapter pieces were included

if these are the things with the 2 little screws at the side? All I did was slide the card into place, your right i dont think i did install the pci-e power supply thing... how do I do that? sorry, im not veery ghood with computers, never done this before.

basically, the card needs external power provided by the computer's PSU (Power Supply Unit). this is required for cards that feature a power connector. the x1950 pro requires a 6-pin PCIe style cable to be attached at the header near the opposite side of the mounting bracket. if you don't have a PCIe-capable power supply, you should be able to use an adapter like this, where the left image is of the PCIe power connector:

pcie6.jpg

Back