Graphics card makers believe the RTX 5090 and 5080 will ship in Q4 2024

Daniel Sims

Staff
Rumor mill: Rumors have long pointed to a late 2024 or early 2025 launch for Nvidia's next generation of consumer graphics cards – likely named RTX 5000 – but precisely which products in that series would make the starting lineup has remained unclear. According to a recent report, board partners expect the top two RTX 5000 GPUs to ship before the end of this year.

In agreement with prior rumors, United Daily News (UDN) reports that Nvidia's hardware partners anticipate a fourth quarter 2024 unveiling for the company's upcoming GeForce RTX 5000 graphics cards, codenamed "Blackwell." The initial launch is expected to include the high-end RTX 5090 and 5080 graphics cards.

Although little information had previously emerged regarding which products would lead the Blackwell rollout, aside from the flagship, the plan described in the UDN story resembles the Ada Lovelace series' 2022 launch.

Nvidia began shipping the RTX 4090 and 4080 near the end of that year, while the RTX 4070 Ti appeared the following January and the RTX 4070 launched in April. Most of the RTX 5000 products will likely emerge in 2025.

This prediction is a primary factor behind upbeat market forecasts for 2024 from Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI. While Asus expects demand in the first half of this year to be similar to late 2023, MSI believes the RTX 5000 launch will help increase shipment prices for 2024 overall.

Gigabyte also believes the storm has passed, likely referring to the downturn the entire tech industry suffered in 2022 and 2023. Most companies expect sales of PCs and other products to recover from 2024 into the middle of the decade.

Earlier reports regarding Blackwell suggest that the RTX 5090 will be around 70 percent faster than the 4090. Meanwhile, the 5080 could be similar to the 4090 in rasterization but superior in ray tracing.

The GB202, GB203, and GB205 GPUs – likely to power the 5090, 5080, and 5070, respectively – are expected to upgrade to GDDR7 VRAM. However, the 5090 will receive an additional exclusive speed boost from a 512-bit memory bus. Reports also indicate significant upgrades in cache with support for PCIe 5.0 and DisplayPort 2.1. Blackwell is based on TSMC's 5nm 4N node.

AMD is expected to launch a new generation of GPUs this year under the RDNA 4 label, but it will only encompass mid-range and mainstream products. Intel is also attempting to release its sophomore lineup this year – Battlemage – which will include an enthusiast graphics card. However, the company's first series, Alchemist, faced significant delays, and it remains to be seen if Intel has improved its supply chain.

Permalink to story:

Okay, so I'm really curious about this. Many of you know I have turned from team green to team red. If you bought a 4090, what could possibly make you want a 5090? Everything is more than playable with RT@4k on a 4090, what incentive is there to buy a 5090?

Okay, so I'm really curious about this. Many of you know I have turned from team green to team red. If you bought a 4090, what could possibly make you want a 5090? Everything is more than playable with RT@4k on a 4090, what incentive is there to buy a 5090?

Without knowing anything concrete about what the differences will be, that question doesn't really have an answer.
It also doesn't make much sense as a question, as 4090 owners aren't the only people who might be interested in a 5090 (such as 3090 owners who skipped the 4090, people who've been clinging onto a 1080 all this time, etc.).

Well, I have a 4090 and while ALMOST everything plays at max @ 4k, there's a few titles that don't...

I'm sure there will be new titles that "require" a 5090 to get max @ 4k...

Also, they did a sneaky thing and released 4K @ 240hz gaming monitors and very few titles run at that - even on a 4090... (one might ask why you would need this and well... I can't really give you an answer there)

The PC business is good at making hardware - then creating software that makes you "need" said hardware...

I purposely bought the "collector" Asus Strix 4090 White edition last month figuring it will keep it's value the most. Hopefully able to break even on an upgrade if I hear the 5090 actually lives up to the hype.

And yes - I'm a sucker!

For gaming, probably pathtracing titles and 4k 240hz oled, upcoming 1440p 480hz oled gaming you know the niche enthusiast level stuff. The 4090 is definitely a beast in its own regard, but is creeping towards its 2nd birthday at the succession of the 5090 coronation day ( still rumored).
Price and Performance delta is definitely the biggest factor for me at least.

Last edited:

That's a good question, but until we start seeing bench tests who knows. It's funny, I have a 4090, but ever since I got it I've been playing older games. Like Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, Valheim, etc. Of course they're at 4k and look beautiful. But simply haven't found any newer games that are interesting to me and that would push the 4090. Based on that, I won't be buying a 5000 version. Now when the 6000 series comes out, we'll see....

-Same as it's always been: more frames, more features, more resolution.

I snagged my 6800xt second hand for $430 shipped in 2022 right before Ada released and it's been mighty good to me.

Decided to upgrade over my 980ti because... You might have guessed it... More frames, more features, more resolution.

That's a good question, but until we start seeing bench tests who knows. It's funny, I have a 4090, but ever since I got it I've been playing older games. Like Borderlands 3, Witcher 3, Valheim, etc. Of course they're at 4k and look beautiful. But simply haven't found any newer games that are interesting to me and that would push the 4090. Based on that, I won't be buying a 5000 version. Now when the 6000 series comes out, we'll see....
I'm with you on this, I also have a 4090 but have found myself playing older titles (Valheim, Halo, GTA, New World, Battlefield) or easy to run titles (Helldivers 2, BG3, Stray, After Us).

The thing about playing harder to run titles (Cyberpunk, Fort Solis, Hogwarts) They just aren't as good? Maybe its age, but it does feel like modern games either take a whole day minimum of playing to really get into it, or just aren't that great.

I'm planning on playing through the Mass Effect series again soon, Once I'm done playing through the Halo series. Games used to be good...

5080 could be similar to the 4090 huh? Why would 5090 be sooo much better than 5080? While 5080 being the same as 4090? Very strange. That would make the 5080... another boring 80 card. I thought the difference between 4080 vs 4090 was already huge, but if it goes to 70%, It's just over. 5080 would be dead for many people. I mean, right now I can get a 4090 that's a bit close to the price of a 4080 super. Don't ask why.. the store prices in my country are insane.

The 1000 bucks 4080 super is a total myth here. So why would I wait almost 1 more year for the new1? Seems pretty crazy to me. I can get that performance today. I sure hope 5080 will offer a reason for everyone with a 4080/90 to upgrade. Doesn't have to be a huge reason, just don't give us the same performance lol. Also, a reason for people that usually skip 2 generations and want 2 or 3 times more performance.

Maybe im crazy, but these are not exactly old ancient games lol. Try Bioshock 1, Gears 1, GTA 4, Max Payne 3, Half-life 2, Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Witcher 2, Skyrim and Mass Effect. Now these are old games. Cus of these epic old games, I got no time to even check The brand new remaster of the Witcher 3, or Borderlands 3 (the last numbered game in the series) I just refuse to call these old games, or I guess anything after 2015. Same goes for movies. People calling movies from 2017 old is just silly to me. I watch many movies from 1960-80 lol, now those are old. The 2014-2019 movies are the same movies as the ones from 2024. It won't be totally different and weird to watch. I mean, play Witcher 3 and then go to 1, it's night and day difference. I just finished 1 and went to 2. Epic games, but 3 is the real deal when it comes to visuals and scale. I can't wait people to call today's games old in 2-4 years. Lol. Technically, Cyberpunk is already "old" now, and yet... It's still the most impressive video game (also hard to run, even on a 4090).

P.s. I won't even mention Red Dead 2, that "old ancient" game ;p

Suppose it's time to start saving for a new build late this year/early next year.

3080's been a great card so far, and still am overall pretty happy with it, but Alan Wake 2 should be freed from its EGS shackles by then and there's no way the 3080 is going to hold up to how I want that game to look and play.
Yes, I'm being a graphics ***** and I don't care.

+30% performance for 100% price increase.

For reference the 4080 is about 25% performance gain over the 3090.

If we look at TSMC's own improvement marks from 5nm to 4N they mention 33% density improvement and 20% IPC gains. Couple that with cache increase and GDDR7 and it should be closer to the 50% to 60% rumors as a guesstimate. I recall everyone thought the 4090 would be $1999 to $2499 at launch too.

Attachments

• relative-performance-3840-2160.png
    relative-performance-3840-2160.png
    83.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I don't game at 4K (my main monitor is a 34" 3440x1440 that maxes at 100Hz), so currently I don't have a justifiable reason to upgrade over my 3080 unless I change monitors. Almost everything plays at max settings, staying locked at 100 fps (or close enough), with only some RT AAA titles like CP2077 or Hogwart's causing some dips.

I'd likely grab a used, upper-tier 40 series when the 50 series comes out, if I do upgrade, since I'm expecting the 50 series to sell at even more absurd prices.

For reference the 4080 is about 25% performance gain over the 3090.

If we look at TSMC's own improvement marks from 5nm to 4N they mention 33% density improvement and 20% IPC gains. Couple that with cache increase and GDDR7 and it should be closer to the 50% to 60% rumors as a guesstimate. I recall everyone thought the 4090 would be $1999 to $2499 at launch too.
So $4000-$5000 for the 5090?

So $4000-$5000 for the 5090?
3090ti fell by half in a few months after launch $1999 to $999. The market would likely reject such pricing. If we look at the market behavior at the $999 mark for the 4080 super, the market rejected the 4080 at $1199, the market rejected the 4090s at $2000+. Sure Nvidia could price the halo products with fat margins but risk small revenues and public outcry. In a monopoly the consumer doesn't have a choice, but a smart monopoly would still attempt to mitigate their negative public perception by pricing it slightly above what they believe consumers are willing to pay and not alienate a potential customer base.
The Asus Matrix platinum @ $3200 can probably be the roof or point of reference where they want the market to move.
If Nvidia launches higher than the market is willing to pay the I believe that enthusiasts will just wait 1 year for rdna5 offering for a price correction and the 4090 owners will just swap out for the 5080 with minimal out of pocket costs.

Last edited:
This was a nice thread to read, starting with a very well thought question, followed by some civil answers with valid arguments, along with the tongue in cheek humor that follows.

There's the rub as ever, and I think we might see this next gen truly fracturing things. It's the pricing issue and Nvidia ones are not only nuts in comparison to AMD but vs themselves as much.

May 2021 I needed a 3440x1440 worthy card. Options were the 6800XT and 3080 10gb.
The former cost me £1200 for the most premium Sapphire Nitro+ SE, from a low-high range of about £150. Also immediately available. The latter ranged from £1800-2400, higher end for those models with a similar feature set and months of queues aso to get one. Sure, RT and DLSS exist but neither for or worth that much more vs wtf was that 10Gb again? Well, I was using 8Gb at 1080p two years earlier so 10Gb for a much higher res, even on a new gen/arch, wasn't reassuring at all nm for 3+ years... especially at, again, that much more.

Now, we could call that one an outlier due to Nvidia's claim of pandemic affecting x and y. Yet Nvidia and partners were shipping cards by the thousands to mining concerns, which would surely only have worsened any such shortage. Not illegal, no, but grubby af? Yep. Otoh, once mining was gone and scalpers run off, uncle Jensen made clear that the pricing he'd purposefully helped to inflate wasn't going away. But as usual, Nvidia can do no wrong going by their continued success. Nothing new there.

Last year I made another upgrade, same res plus a run at 4K. Options being 7900XTX and 4080.
Same kind of deal applied, the former having a range of £900-1150 for the entire year excluding BF sales. The latter £1350-2000+.
Same thing applies re RT/DLSS, and same deal again re VRAM, 16Gb I already had and saw getting written down with the 6800XT at 3440x1440, not even 4K (hence the upgrade) so the 4080's same cap on a new gen/arch still wasn't comforting for three years. Especially not when the other weak link is game devs increasingly caring less about optimisation and good launches etc. I still have far less games with RT and/or upscalers than those that'll use as much VRAM as I can offer.

Both those situations (taken from legit store prices) persisted through most, if not well beyond, their respective years. Tbf the price range part is the older issue of the two. I mean you'd expect some price overhead for card models with better features in the same tier, something like £100-200 or so. Which would be fair and where AMD hold at generally, but £500+ is a bit much for effectively the same card but with better RGB, BIOS and etc. That much used to mean and buy you at least a tier better. I'm not even saying Nvidia cards are bad per se, absolutely not. But the pricing over AMD peers and near peers and range between Nvidia alone is just nuts. At the real world price point the £1950+ 4090 equal to my £1008 7900XTX should be 30 fps better but also have lossless RT and offer foot massages, doing my banking and bringing me fresh brewed coffee as well.

So roll on the 5080 and 5090. I'd have had my concerns months ago but now knowing for sure that AMD are going to be holding back for at least a gen, for which we gamers can at least partly blame ourselves, and Intel unlikely to be a high end competitor either, I doubt Nvidia are going to adjust at that end. Sure, we'll see record breaking consumer GPU perf again, but also record breaking MSRP that the real world prices won't be anywhere near again. It's not even a question of being one of the poors or other erroneous points (as many commenters in various forums insist) but at the pricing I'm expecting to see I'll still be out re Nvidia, even if I could technically afford it, just like with the 4080 or 4090.

Some people skipped the 4090 and 3090 and 2080ti.

Back