Graphics Card Question

All right, here's my problem. I'm looking into buying a new laptop, and I've broken it down to two choices: an Asus model #Q400A-BHI7N03 with an Intel® HD Graphics 4000 card and another Asus model #U47VC-DS51 with a nVidia GT 620 card. Both have 8GB of active memory and 750GB of hard drive space. Either way, I want a new and better graphics card installed, and what I really want is the nVidia GeForce GTX 650 (Ti?), possibly even a little higher. But I don't know if it is compatible with either of the above laptops. The last time we bought a new computer and got a new graphics card for it, the system power requirements for the card were not met by the computer and a better power supply had to be installed for the card. And there may be other things that would make the card incompatible with the two laptops as that I don't know about. Can anyone help me out? Any help would be much appreciated.

If I may ask, what do you plan on doing with the laptop? Do you plan on playing "graphic intense" games or will it mostly be a little gaming and watching movies? It might be easier to look at other laptops if you really want the GTX 650 card inside. Also, what kind of budget are you working with?

You can't put a GTX 650TI inside of a laptop. Just going to put that out there... I'm sure other members will elaborate on what I mean.
Lol. Indeed. This is what a laptop should look like:
Samsung-Series-7-Chronos-2013-01.jpg

This is what a 650Ti looks like:
GTX_650Ti_438x328.png

I dont think it fits. All jokes aside, you cannot put a full size desktop GPU into a tiny laptop.

When it comes to laptops, you generally can't change the graphics card.This is mainly because it's integrated and there is no available expansion slot. If the laptop does have a dedicated card, for the most part it just isn't practical to upgrade it. You're much better off buying a laptop with a decent GPU to begin with or switch over to desktops. It's almost never worth it to upgrade a laptop beyond RAM and HDD.

Just to note, laptops cannot use desktop GPU's like the one suggested in the first post. They are only compatible with mobile variants like the GTX 660M or others listed at this site.

I wont be surprised if nVidia or AMD introduce a swappable GPU for mobile. Desktops are dying and the GPU business will always be needed for gaming. Alienware already has one, but it is clunky and expensive.

I wont be surprised if nVidia or AMD introduce a swappable GPU for mobile. Desktops are dying and the GPU business will always be needed for gaming. Alienware already has one, but it is clunky and expensive.
Problem is interchangeable parts results in a clunkier laptop. Considering how well iPads, etc. are doing, most consumers don't really care for customisability and are happy to pay large premiums for extra storage for example.

Problem is interchangeable parts results in a clunkier laptop. Considering how well iPads, etc. are doing, most consumers don't really care for customisability and are happy to pay large premiums for extra storage for example.

True! With devices getting thinner and lighter, the customizability factor is going down the drain.

My alienware laptop (quiet haters!! lol) made it easy to swap out graphics cards for upgrades. I even had the option of using the slot for an extra hard drive, or for sli.

I assume the same is true for all higher end gaming laptops. You know the ones, the 10lb plus monsters.

My alienware laptop (quiet haters!! lol) made it easy to swap out graphics cards for upgrades. I even had the option of using the slot for an extra hard drive, or for sli.

I assume the same is true for all higher end gaming laptops. You know the ones, the 10lb plus monsters.

I am a hater lol. Alienwares are overpriced. The upgradeability could be worth the price though.

Back