Graphics card(s) for Dell Optiplex 745

Kexin

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 desk top form.ik it isnt THE best comp, but im wanting to upgrade the graphics card and power supply if I have to. just dont know where to start QQ inoob... any help would be appreciated ty

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: OptiPlex 745
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.6.4
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.4

Last edited:
Is this the Full size one or the tiny one from Dell? I looked up 745 and it comes in two form factors it looks like, since you said desktop im assuming the bigger version. The problem with Dell is that they usually make things custom and hard to change between, with a Pentium D CPU your options will be limited, what is the budget you have and which size do you have (Just for conformation).

Well id like to stay with in 100$ .. atm it has an Intel GMA 3000 not sure what im looking at as im preety much a nabo when it comes to this :/ sry

Ive seen stuff @ like Best Buy and newegg but not sure as to what will work and where to start...I currently play Jade Dynasty and the regen update wont let me play . playing on P.servers working fine tho, just slows a bit when I multi

Ive seen stuff @ like Best Buy and newegg but not sure as to what will work and where to start...I currently play Jade Dynasty and the regen update wont let me play . playing on P.servers working fine tho, just slows a bit when I multi
Sorry, which size is it, like GhostRyder said?

Its not the tower, but the size just under..Dell calls it desktop form
So its not the really skinny machine from Dell right?

Ok your best option is something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045
a 400-450 watt PSU in a low end price range will be fine for your system, but make sure to at least stick with a good brand like Antec, coolermaster, EVGA, etc to prevent problems.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202052
This is a GPU in your budget with a PSU, it will be ok for gaming but if you play at 1080p your going to struggle.

Edit: Oh its the Skinny one...Ok that limits things just a sec
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150682
Try that, though it goes over your budget you need a low profile video card.

Thx guys... helped .. sry im not to comp lit lul but learning..
The other thing is you might not be able to fit a full sized PSU, actually im pretty sure you cant. You may just want to get a low profile card and run it on your current 280 watt as based on the wattage needs it should be enough. Otherwise your going to have to find a PSU that will fit in that small a case.

Just for your reference Kexin, the back of a standard ATX PSU is 85mm high x 150mm long (at the back, measure your current one to see if a normal ATX will fit.

This is what I did with this optiplex 745 (mini tower) notice the revision of cpu is G0 notice the bios is 2.6.4 also notice I used 350 watt brand new power supply (any standard atx power supply will fit the minitower only) and it has the cooler from dual core cpu the pentium 4 cooler will not work and cpu revision must be G0 also pc2-5300 or pc2-6400 will give you max performance and hd6570 will use only 44 watts max and have very good performance for this very small amount of 44 watts1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png

I payed $70 for the hd6570 and it worked with the dell power supply that came with the pc just an fyi for people who want a video card for the mini tower under 75$ I put a new power supply only because it was old and I didnt want to fry my brand new gpu and the cpu I just payed $50 for on ebay

Back