Graphics cards keep getting more expensive as RDNA 2 closes in on peak price

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The latest report on the state of the GPU market in Germany and Austria, which is usually a reflection of global trends, has landed—and it’s not good news. Following a pattern that’s been present since early August, prices for both Nvidia’s and AMD’s graphics cards have risen yet again, with team red’s Radeon RX 6000 series close to their most expensive point.

The new data from German site 3DCenter is difficult reading for those looking to upgrade their GPUs. Prices of the latest graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD fell rapidly from their mid-May peak until the start of August, but both RDNA 2 and Ampere have been on the rise since then.

On October 31, the average selling price of the RX 6000 series was double the MSRP, while Ampere cards were 88% higher. On August 8, for comparison, both companies’ cards were around 50 - 59% above MSRP.

The publication notes that the erratic market has led to some extremes, including examples of the Radeon RX 6800 & 6800 XT being priced higher than the usually more expensive and powerful RX 6900 XT, the RTX 3070 Ti ($599 MSRP) reaching 2,000 Euros ($2,314), and the GeForce RTX 3090 ($1,499 MSRP) hitting a record 4,029 euros ($4,662).

While RDNA 2 is close to its 114%-over-MSRP peak, Ampere remains a long way off its 204%-over-MSRP highest level. But with both sets of cards continuing to rise, the outlook isn’t promising.

Availability is also getting worse. Only the RTX 3060 Ti, 3070, and 3080 Ti have four-star ratings in this area, while the rest of Ampere is on just three stars. And AMD, whose cards have long been harder to find, only has the Radeon 6900 XT on a four-star rating. The rest have three stars, and the RX 6800 has just one.

So what’s causing the new uptick? The rising price of cryptocurrency is always a factor, despite AMD long denying it prioritizes miners over gamers, and Nvidia’s crypto-specific CMP line that contains a $4,300 mining monster. There’s also the chip shortage, of course, which insiders predict will last until mid 2022 or even 2023. Moreover, the upcoming holiday season will likely be increasing demand.

The one ray of light is our examination of the second-hand GPU market. Although Ampere prices remain around twice their MSRP on eBay, they were down very slightly during October, as were RDNA 2 prices. Older cards, meanwhile, were flat for the month.

Permalink to story.

Summer = Less GPU demand
Winter = Higher GPU demand

Nothing new here .. People want to play games when it's cold 😄

And BF2042 is coming soon, lots of PC gamers are gearing up

I'm amazed that this keep beeing a problem tho, because it's not because of mining anymore. Look at statistics and total hashrate - Did not really change in the last many months

Time to stock up on thermal grease, thermal pads and spare fans until scalpers get some new ideas. Looks like old card has to last a few more years.

Here's what really happened:

A few days ago, ETH postponed indefintely the transition to proof-of-stake for the 10th or so time during the pat 6-7 years.

Miners went on an insane buying spree and as a result of the Miners' bying spree, retailers are seeing GPU shortages once again.

As to the Miner Incognito who says "it's gamers" like they used to say "it's console gamers going PC for the first time who are responsible for the GPU shortage", clearly if any gamer would have liked to purchase a GPU at these inflated prices they would have done so in the summer.

The shortage and buyer crunch we are witnessing came after the ETH announcement about cancelling proof-of-stake.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ethereum-transition-pos-model-delayed

It's just depressing now. Maybe we'll be able to get new cards in 2024.
Summer = Less GPU demand

I'm amazed that this keep beeing a problem tho, because it's not because of mining anymore. Look at statistics and total hashrate - Did not really change in the last many months
And yet the number of reviews on new cards is also depressingly low. Really looks like no cards are getting through, despite the amazing quarters posted by nvidia and AMD. They're probably being bought by all the employees who dissapeared this last year.

A mid-level to high-end GPU should last someone a good 4 to 5 years.
I really don't see a problem here... other than money grabbing.
( double entente on purpose)

No better way to break an out-of-control, 'upgrade & FPS chase', 'for no real good reason' mentality. A whole lot of folks are going to re-calibrate their behaviors. And to me... that's a positive!

The mining thing? ... c'est la vie

A mid-level to high-end GPU should last someone a good 4 to 5 years.
I really don't see a problem here... other than money grabbing.
( double entente on purpose)

No better way to break an out-of-control, 'upgrade & FPS chase', 'for no real good reason' mentality. A whole lot of folks are going to re-calibrate their behaviors. And to me... that's a positive!

The mining thing? ... c'est la vie

For 1080p? Sure 😂

Personally I usually change GPU every 2-3 years, luckily I got a 3080 on release, I will pick up a new card in 2023 I guess

I use 1440p @ 240 Hz, 60 fps is not my goal, I need 100+ but prefer 200ish for maximum smoothness

I'm glad I recently upgraded .... it's not the top of the line but good enough for me. Amazing that people will pay more for the GPU than the rest of the computer! Of course when people get tired of the costs and stop buying you'll see the prices drop dramatically overnight .....

I'm glad I recently upgraded .... it's not the top of the line but good enough for me. Amazing that people will pay more for the GPU than the rest of the computer! Of course when people get tired of the costs and stop buying you'll see the prices drop dramatically overnight .....

Whoever wanted to upgrade to an RTX 3k or AMD 6K GPU has done so by now, like you have.

Only ppl buying in this market are Miners & Fools and we all know that fools run out of money very soon so the majority of the buyers (if not all of them) are Miners.

For 1080p? Sure 😂

Personally I usually change GPU every 2-3 years, luckily I got a 3080 on release, I will pick up a new card in 2023 I guess

I use 1440p @ 240 Hz, 60 fps is not my goal, I need 100+ but prefer 200ish for maximum smoothness

Thanks for proving my point...

Not if miners have anything to say about it.

(Runs, hides, prepares for an assault by mining "enthusiasts") 🤣

I fart to keep me warm
Speaking of farts....(after all that is the topic)....Elon Musk is claiming to be /has been/ promised to / simply lies about it) producing a methane rocket fuel. OK, so in the mean time, too many cow farts are contributing to global warming, due to their high methane content. So conceivably Musk could collect cow farts, and refine them into rocket fuel So, with cow fart power, and his reusable boosters, I think it would only be fair of him to label the side of his dragon capsule
....................RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
keep hands and feet inside the capsule.....................avoid fire or open flame, cow farts can be dangerous if inhaled, causing acute olfactory distress, or inducing vomiting.

I think he should use methane engines in his "Starship" project. I bet he'd think twice about blowing another one of those babies up on the pad. Oh well, they say the 5th time's the charm :poop: :rolleyes:

Hey how about the prices of those darned video cards? Pretty soon, it'll be cheaper to get yourself addicted to heroin, as opposed to being hooked on video gaming. (And....we're back on topic). (y) (Y) (sort of)

Speaking of farts....(after all that is the topic)....Elon Musk is claiming to be /has been/ promised to / simply lies about it) producing a methane rocket fuel. OK, so in the mean time, too many cow farts are contributing to global warming, due to their high methane content. So conceivably Musk could collect cow farts, and refine them into rocket fuel So, with cow fart power, and his reusable boosters, I think it would only be fair of him to label the side of his dragon capsule
....................RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
keep hands and feet inside the capsule.....................avoid fire or open flame, cow farts can be dangerous if inhaled, causing acute olfactory distress, or inducing vomiting.

I think he should use methane engines in his "Starship" project. I bet he'd think twice about blowing another one of those babies up on the pad. Oh well, they say the 5th time's the charm :poop: :rolleyes:

Hey how about the prices of those darned video cards? Pretty soon, it'll be cheaper to get yourself addicted to heroin, as opposed to being hooked on video gaming. (And....we're back on topic). (y) (Y) (sort of)
Though some TS members think otherwise, Methane engines is yet another tech that Musky almost certainly got from NASA - https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2007/04may_methaneblast/ Interesting article title, IMO, "Methane Blast" 🤣 🤣 🤣
Pretty soon, we will have the fossil fuel lobby selling Methane as yet another "clean fuel" and one that goes a long way to reducing the environmental effects of livestock farming ;) - for those of us who do not want to give up our Beef. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Flatulence aside, this is a lost opportunity for Intel taking their time and when they do launch a worthy discreet GPU they better deliver!
What happened to Ch!na banning cryptomining and flooding the market with used gpus? The mining farms were the most to benefit by purchasing on the dip.
Currently the back log is 1 year long.
I was the only one predicting that the dip will be short lived followed by even higher prices.

Flatulence aside, this is a lost opportunity for Intel taking their time and when they do launch a worthy discreet GPU they better deliver!
What happened to Ch!na banning cryptomining and flooding the market with used gpus? The mining farms were the most to benefit by purchasing on the dip.
Currently the back log is 1 year long.
I was the only one predicting that the dip will be short lived followed by even higher prices.

Too bad they delayed everything for 2022 and God knows what cards get released first and their stocks.

Summer = Less GPU demand

Nvidia just released an rtx and rt trailer for BF2042 @ 34 seconds in gameplay goes to a slide show. The way your meant to get headshot!

Back