Resolved Green screen error (0X0000007E) after Windows Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quilt

Somehow I got malware on my home HP desktop computer (I am currently on a work computer). Everytime I were to open up an internet browser, another tab would open simutaneously with websiteconfirmreq.com and than it would go to someother website.

I searched all over the internet for steps to remove it. I came accross this forum link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=218986
I eventually got to the Windows XP cleanup section link: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=139313
As you will see the first thing the above thread tells you to run is Super Antispyware.http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127217

So I ran that program, and quarantined/removed all of the suspicious files that the program had found. The program than said to reboot, and so I did. When it rebooted it would get passed the windows logo screen, stay black for about ten seconds, and than reboot. The computer just keeps doing this. I even tried safe mode but the same thing occurs.

I ran the Windows Recovery Console and ran chkdsk /r. It came up with found one or more errors. I inserted the windows cd to the drive to repair, and couln't press F12 to get to the CD to repair windows.

II pressed F1 to enter setup. I changed the primary boot from the hard drive to CD-ROM drive. I was able to get to the Windows CD, and went through the process of repairing Windows. When my computer rebooted I got this message (picture also attached):

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appers again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturere for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as chacing or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0X004D0004, 0XF7A26A8C, 0XF7A2678C)

Any help or directions on how to fix this?

Thank you everyone in advance for you help!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 21
Ryan, welcome to TechSpot. I note that in your short time here, you have been able to reply on several threads.

Each computer help forum has it's own set of preliminary programs to run. I note that you were asked for logs on the other forum and didn't respond. While you are free to post wherever you want, we ask that you don't post on multiple forums for the same problem at the same time. It ties too many helpers up and that isn't fair to others needing help.

I don't know what caused the 'green' screen. I think your color setting is off because that shows a BSOD in bad color. You can troubleshoot the STOP 0X0000007E here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, pastethe logs in your next reply for review.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

If necessary, you can download the programs to a flash drive, then install them on the problem computer.

I apologize for the numerous posts, but I am just in panic mode.

I can't give any logs because I can not get back into my computer to access the logs. Currently my issue is not the malware, it is being able to get back into my computer. Than my problem will be the malware removal.

I have gone to the link supplied. I know I have sufficient disk space (method 1), but as far as the rest of the methods I feel like I need a "dumbed" down version of it. Also, some of the sub-links given require you to be able to even get into safe mode, which I currently can not.

I keep searching for the specific error strand given, but it does not come up on google, yahoo, or even microsoft support. I am trying to avoid having to reinstall the OS, but it seems more and more like I am going to have to.

Were you able to work this out without reformatting? You don't need to search for the entire error string- the first part is the main thing. The additional parameters might show up in a minidump which could be better handled in the Windows OS forum.

I came across this link http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-0 which seems like a step by step way of fixing the problem.

I went through the line code that you will see in the link. I ended up getting past the error screen, but it wouldn't load the login screen.

In the end, instead of making matters worse, I just re-installed windows. I had backed my files up in April, so I didn't really loose anything of importance in 4 months. Computer is back up and running now.

Thanks.

I'm glad to hear you got back in. Unfortunately, only the first part of that article loaded. The instructions never appeared. I notice that it says 'corrected' and wonder if it got pulled.

You are wise to have backed up your files before the fact. You might want to check the graphics card because of the 'green' screen.

Thanks. I guess I would have gotten it before if I'd waited long enough- it took close to 10 min. to load! I am not experienced in programming and can't give any opinion on using that code. But personally I would hesitate giving that many Commands to anyone to input. I would also be concerned about keeping the backup in a .tmp directory. We don't even want users to put HijackThis in a tmp folder because it makes a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back