Groklaw legal site is the latest victim in NSA privacy revelations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

legal groklaw nsa spying closure

It was really only a matter of time before other sites and services joined the ranks of Lavabit and Silent Circle. The latest victim of the fallout from Edward Snowden’s public disclosure of various NSA spying programs is Groklaw, a site dedicated to technology and law. It’s being shut down effective immediately.

Found Pamela Jones penned a lengthy post on the site early this morning explaining the decision. After researching the revelations that have surfaced over the past few weeks and taking Lavabit founder Ladar Levison’s advice to stop using e-mail if we knew what he knew about it, she decided to do just that.

Jones said there simply is no way to continue to operate Groklaw without e-mail because user input is the basis of the site. It ends today as she said this would be the last article posted and comments were disabled.

Furthermore, she plans to “get off of the Internet” to the degree it is possible. The idea of staying active online while knowing privacy is impossible is simply no longer an option for her. She said she opened an e-mail address with Kolab, a server based in Switzerland that is under different laws than those in the use. Otherwise, it’s the end of the line for her.

Groklaw got its start some 10 years ago and is well known for its in-depth coverage of technology law. The site specialized in software patents, open source software and privacy issues.

Permalink to story.

It's nice to see that censorship in all it's ugliness is now being revealed in all the world and here in the U.S. It's especially ugly and everybody is getting to know why the founding fathers and our patriots went to war with England in order to secure our freedoms and why the Constitution was written the way it was. A lot of things change in this world but surprise, surprise, MAN hasn't changed all that much in any meaningful way.
Throughout all of written history, one can see the inequality that has existed between the "haves' and "have nots" and those who "have" get to make up all the rules as you can see that all our "elected officials" do NOT REPRESENT OUR BEST INTERESTS in any meaningful way...PERIOD.

Better wake up and smell the coffee folks, it's fixin to get a whole lot worse and will continue to do so until we the people out here get off our lazy duffs and put a stop to ALL of this crap.

Respectfully,
Those who have money, influence and power...believe that the world exists to serve their way of life and we are all here just to serve that belief.

I agree with your first post although I wouldn't lump every rich or influential person into the same boat. Your link to the progressive website is predictably condescending, seems to be their MO.

It's a shame these companies are going down after Snowden's actions. Wish he could've handled it better.

Condescending? Hmmm well now let me see if I can clarify the definition of the word condescending for ya'll :)

I agree that condescending tones seem to emanate...mostly however...from a segment of society that has profited rather grotesquely off of the backs of the American people and all the information that points that way isn't made up either...the polls taken and all the data compiled by independent organizations and universities...absolutely describe distributed wealth over the last half century sure are showing something else entirely. Do I dare say maybe the "Truth"? CONDESCENDING huh?

The tech corridor, the industrial complex and the Political environment... all describe exactly where big industry has placed it's advertising monies, the issues with the NSA, CIA, IRS, FBI, Darpa,Tafta, cipa, sipa, drm, patent trolling and patent extortion especially on High Tech and R&D...describe exactly what is going on if you care to read up on a bit of actual, factual historical occurences. CONDESCENDING huh?

The fact that they are now detaining Reporters at airports under terrorism clauses, holding people in GITMO without any charges of any kind, detaining whomever they feel like for however long they want. DUE PROCESS? What a joke...CONDESCENDING huh?

Secret courts, secret judges, secret gag orders, Secret LAWS....NOT IN MY UNITED STATES...no thank you...not now...not ever. CONDEDSCENDING huh ?

I'm a veteran and I'll be damned if I served my country for this claptrap...nuh uhh...nope.

Now that's me being condescending! YEPPER!

Respectfully,

Snowden is a reckless Anarchist.

The sooner is I found pinned to a tree the better for everyone.

What you don't know won't hurt you.

So many tin-hats out there carry one about 'losing liberties' that they would never notice gone.

Grow up babies, you need parenting from your government you naughty ingrates.

My apologies, that is a bad habit I need to break.

Everyone can hear me just fine without shouting and I will refrain from this habit to the best of my abilities.

Once again, I apologize for my lack of manners...my mom would've kicked my behind and my 4th grade teacher would've smacked my fingers with a ruler...repeatedly!

Thanks for not smacking my fingers!

Respectfully,

I came across (in all those s.p.y. related articles) lots of time to this sort of phrase:
"If you knew what we know you'd be ... (more or less scared sh*tless)".
What is this exactly. I suppose that every single thing ever uttered by anyone is saved and attached to your profile ?

Back