GTA V is now the most profitable entertainment product of all time

midian182

Staff member

It’s a well-known fact that Grand Theft Auto V has been successful. Very, very successful. Since it launched on the last generation of consoles back in 2013, it’s gone on to sell over 90 million units and brought in around $6 billion, making it the most profitable media product of all time, according to financial information site MarketWatch.

Back in November, publisher Take-Two Interactive revealed that GTA V was the “all-time best-selling video game” in the US. Having now sold 90 million units, it’s become the third best-selling game of all time, sitting behind only Minecraft, which boasts sales of 144 million, and Tetris, which has sold 170 million if you include all the different versions and ports of the classic game.

MarketWatch says GTA V’s success has seen it make more money than any other form of media—movie, record, or book—ever released. Even massive hits like Star Wars and Gone with The Wind can’t compete, both collecting more than $3 billion each—and that’s when adjusted for inflation and taking into account DVD and streaming sales.

Very few games have been able to maintain the level of success that GTA V has for so many years, and thanks to its online multiplayer, the game will no doubt keep on making tons of money for years to come—it’s been on our Best PC Games (You Should be Playing) list since we started the bi-annual feature.

While GTA V Online's ability to keep attracting players is good news for its creators, it’s not so good for those who prefer the solo campaign to the multiplayer element. Rockstar Games has virtually ruled out any single-player DLC, and rumors say GTA 6 won’t arrive until 2022.

Permalink to story.

But it still sucks when it comes to single player support ......
Yeah it was kind of stated in the article.
While GTA V Online's ability to keep attracting players is good news for its creators, it’s not so good for those who prefer the solo campaign to the multiplayer element. Rockstar Games has virtually ruled out any single-player DLC, and rumors say GTA 6 won’t arrive until 2022.

Cue clueless Activision/EA investor:

"We need to make an open world game like that one pronto. Tell one of our second-party studios to make one (even if they are experts in other kind of games), force them to build it based on our specifications (we are the investors, so we know what is going to make us lots of money). If the game flops, it won't be our fault but the developer's, so as punishment we'll merge it with our most prominent money maker".

I wonder how accurate that description was.

"We need to make an open world game like that one pronto. Tell one of our second-party studios to make one (even if they are experts in other kind of games), force them to build it based on our specifications (we are the investors, so we know what is going to make us lots of money). If the game flops, it won't be our fault but the developer's, so as punishment we'll merge it with our most prominent money maker".

Uncomfortably so.

Gaming is no longer about enjoyment for the gamer it's about profits for the investor. And while we need investors to fund developers, we need to leave the developing to the developers

Can't stand the multiplayer... single player is still plenty of fun in my mind. I really enjoy a story driven campaign and GTA 5 had an excellent one. Hope a new one comes, but I'm not holding my breath.

Uncomfortably so.

Gaming is no longer about enjoyment for the gamer it's about profits for the investor. And while we need investors to fund developers, we need to leave the developing to the developers

So even though capitalism is what created the video games market it's is also destroying it... Which is rather sad because a lot of the key game designers and directors started off as bedroom coders who just did it as a hobby on their C64's and ZX Spectrums.

GTA 6 will be announced for PS4/Xbox One once Rockstar knows the next console release dates. They made a killing releasing on PS3 and Xbox 360 first, which allowed them to double many of their sales when those customers upgraded to PS4 and Xbox One, and then maybe even tripled some sales later releasing on PC...

Can't believe I'm one of those people saying this but, after playing both GTA & Mafia games why was Mafia2 game sweep under the rug in the gaming community?

Back