Half-Life mod Black Mesa approved for sale on Steam

Russ Boswell

Valve, the original creators of Half Life, are finally recognizing a monumental project by allowing the team behind popular mod Black Mesa to sell the title on their Steam platform. If you haven't heard about Black Mesa: Source, then you're definitely missing out. This incredibly well done, fan remake of Valve's popular Half Life title has been free for some time and available to the general public for download.

Black Mesa was born from its creator's love for the title, nothing more. No one told the group behind the HD, Source engine remake to put all their time and effort into breathing new life into the classic, and this project is just another example of why the PC/modding community is an epic place. The finished product is a beautiful homage, and even though a ton of work went into it, the developers behind the project have never once asked for payment from the community. But that will soon change, in a good way.

We aren't exactly sure how much the title will cost, although I would imagine the price point will be set pretty low. The free version will still be available, so it's best to treat the "purchase" of the game more like a donation than an actual transaction. This will allow individuals who are able to pay something a place to give back to the creators of this remake, while still allowing everyone else a chance to play the release.

If you are looking to give a few bucks to a gaming cause, this is definitely worth your support.

Permalink to story.

Valve is just trying to tide you over until half life 3 in 5 years. Don't buy into it. its a trap!

I've only been able to play a few hours of it, but it is extremely well done and is definitely worth buying on Steam so that the developers can get a little kick-back.

Valve, the original creators of Half Life, are finally recognizing a monumental project by giving the team behind popular mod Black Mesa to sell the title on their Steam platform.
I looked for it on Steam, must not have looked in the right place. I didn't see it in the search list or under Valve's complete bundle.

Does Black Mesa: Source cover the entire game?

It only covers all the content in the original Half life. I highly recommend downloading it!

Wrong. There is a reason they called it just 'Black Mesa'. It re-creates all the events up until you teleport to Xen. Then the game ends. In Half-Life, there is still plenty of game left.
As far as the actual mod itself, its very well done and does not feel and play like a mod, more so like an actual licensed Valve recreation....its that good.

Does Black Mesa: Source cover the entire game?

It only covers all the content in the original Half life. I highly recommend downloading it!

Wrong. There is a reason they called it just 'Black Mesa'. It re-creates all the events up until you teleport to Xen. Then the game ends. In Half-Life, there is still plenty of game left.
As far as the actual mod itself, its very well done and does not feel and play like a mod, more so like an actual licensed Valve recreation....its that good.
it will be the entire game sometime in the future. but they released a huge part of it early just because of popular demand. it's on Valve time right now. it will be released 100% when it's ready.

I found the Zen levels impossible to complete without a gravity hack. Most games these days are a lot simpler to complete, maybe not to their credit.

Half Life was great, the Xen levels weren't the best but I had the expansions too. Opposing Force was good. Loved those games. Gravity hack? lame!!!!! ;)

Back