HalfLife 2 Episode One problem and GRAW with my POV 7600GT AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

antradox

merry christmas everyone!!

now that the fun is over here's the thing

1. Just put Half Life 2 Episode One on my comp, tried to launch the game and it did go into the guy with the valve on his eye, then it went to the loading screen (with a blurred picture of the burning Citadel) then it went out and said

Engine error: Platform error: Module failed to initialize

and then it said

The instruction at "0x10213e2c" referenced memory at "0x0e3ca1a0". The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program.

I've kept my graphics driver updated and pretty sure that HL2 Episode One updates it self frequently, still no progress. HELP!! luv this game!!

GRAW crashes on me at random times. The game runs fine on my 7600GT AGP eventhough its DDR2, auto detects it on high settings with a res of 1024 (which im fine with). I think this might be a different kind of crash compared to my former Radeon 9600XT which restarted my whole system, this crash however is like the screen becomes something like half of the sky but the sounds and shots can still be heard.

My rig is not much but here it is:

Pentium 4 3.0 HT
1G Ram DDR
400W PSU, 10amps on the 12+ rail (yeah, its depressing)
80G Samsung HD
POV Geforce 7600GT AGP DDR2

Thanks heaps for those who help, and have a nice holiday maybe...

I could be wrong but I think that 10amps on the +12V rail is insufficient to power your graphics card to run that game.

mailpup said:
I could be wrong but I think that 10amps on the +12V rail is insufficient to power your graphics card to run that game.

thanks for the reply.
i thought it might be. What if i turn the game on low settings, would that mean that the card will consume less power?

otherwise whats a good PSU that anyone would recommend to me. Nothing too ambitious coz i hope this to be the final minor upgrade on my comp, before moving on to a totally new Core2 or Quad even- just waiting for the prices to come down :)

I had a look at the Antec Basiq 500W. Tell us what you think and im still with AGP btw. Its got 2 +12v rails with a max load of 18, its cheap and its Antec!

If you turned the game on low settings the card would probably compensate by giving you higher framerates/sec. It would still draw too much probably.

The Antec would be fine. That is 18amps on each of the two rails.

great!!

now i might be getting greedy here, but what about the HL2 Episode one side of things? what does anyone here think the problem is?hmm...

thanks

im not sure if i want to flash my BIOS because of the risks involved. I've done verification scan for corrupted files and it seems OK. Updated my graphics card driver to the latest.

maybe this is where the prblem lies when it says "Engine error: Platform error: Module failed to initialize"

something to do with the source engine maybe?

cant believe this is happening, coz it took fair while to get it off the net after getting the orange box...

The HL2 might be the same thing. You have a Pentium 4. They use a hell load of power. It crashed while loading. Therefore we can assume that while loading, the CPU was under a lot of stress and therefore used more power as more clock cycles were devoted to loading the game. This was too much for the PSU and caused a crash.

MetalX said:
The HL2 might be the same thing. You have a Pentium 4. They use a hell load of power. It crashed while loading. Therefore we can assume that while loading, the CPU was under a lot of stress and therefore used more power as more clock cycles were devoted to loading the game. This was too much for the PSU and caused a crash.

beso its back to my PSU again?

here's the story- i was playing HL2 (not episode one) with my Radeon 9600XT on high settings at 1024x768 and that game ran well. After getting my 7600GT i ran HL2 on high settings this time at 1280x1024 and it ran well too but i think i didnt plug in the power connector to it yet. Caution popped up saying that it needed more power so i plugged a power connector into it and no more cautions. Then i reformatted my PC (because i think theres a lot of messed up stuff in there) installed everything back to where they were. Installed HL2 episode one this time with the power connector on the 7600GT , and thats where the problem started..

you may be right,

playing tiberium wars on high at 1024 on the 7600GT however does not cause my comp to crash as it did on GRAW(which at least worked for a good 45 mins before crashing unlike HL2 Episode One which didnt even run)

what would this mean? still the PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back