Halo Infinite console players want cross-play turned off as rampant cheating is spoiling...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
In brief: Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries released the multiplayer element of Master Chief's latest adventure not quite two weeks ago. We got in on some closed betas, which were really fun. However, it hasn't taken cheaters long to ruin the game. Cheating has gotten so bad that console players are requesting 343 disable cross-play until the game has a viable mitigation platform in place.

The Halo subreddit has been flooded with cheat complaints since Halo Infinite's multiplayer mode entered open beta on November 15. There are dozens of examples people have posted to social media showing players using aimbots and wallhacks to cheat their way to a win. Hackers have also figured out a way to block theater mode replays, making it virtually impossible to report the cheaters.

Cheat vendors are allegedly advertising mods that provide infinite ammo and even have software to unlock paid cosmetics. You know the situation is bad when even your paywalled stuff is getting pwned. According to a report on Reddit, one cheat provider summed it up, saying that Halo Infinite's anti-cheat is worse than the one Call of Duty: Warzone was using when it was first released.

Players on Reddit and Twitter are demanding 343 do something about the cheating. At the very least, console users would like developers to add a cross-play toggle allowing them to choose whether to include PC players. Others would like to have a dedicated report button they can use during a match.

Neither Microsoft nor 343 have officially responded to reports of out-of-control cheating. However, if claims that hackers have mods that can steal cosmetics are valid, it's likely to be dealt with post-haste.

It's also worth mentioning that the game is still technically in beta. While beta testing is a time to squash bugs, it's also a time to assess performance. The devs are sure to be noting the rise of cheating and should be planning to include mitigation methods in an upcoming patch. Until then, a lot of players are likely to turn the game off altogether.

Permalink to story.

Modding is one of the great parts of PC gaming, but cheating in online competitive games is only going to hurt PC gamers. Halo MCC has anti-cheat software, do those games have the same issues on PC? If not, why wasn't that implemented here?

Modding is one of the great parts of PC gaming, but cheating in online competitive games is only going to hurt PC gamers. Halo MCC has anti-cheat software, do those games have the same issues on PC? If not, why wasn't that implemented here?
Did you read the article. There is a anti cheat but it's a joke. Cheat makers are claiming it's worse than Warzones original anti cheat.
Either MS or 343 will have to do something soon or we all watch a game die as fast as it released.

Did you read the article. There is a anti cheat but it's a joke. Cheat makers are claiming it's worse than Warzones original anti cheat.
Either MS or 343 will have to do something soon or we all watch a game die as fast as it released.
Yes, the question was, does MCC have the same issues as it has anti-cheat and if that worked why is it not working here, or why did they use something different?

Aye: modding was born at the same time community run, private servers were popular and for good reason: Modding was never meant to get along with peer-2-peer multiplayer and we've known this for the last what, 12 years or more of CoD trying and failing to establish peer2peer multiplayer on the PC with almost always being an arms race against modders and hackers.

I don't get it - reason number 2027 while we can't have nice things.
I cheat sometimes in single player games - where I boost a few stats - because I just want to relax and play the game , and not have to practice for hours to get good - generally rpgs where you have to get your timings/actions right- like the game - would just rather I did my leveling by smart play , than my lack of twitch skills - I don't care about enough to improve .
But it only affects me - I would never go online in Godmode ( unless I had perfect info - so I could use righteous wrath to smite the cheaters and what's the other name? - Griefers ? ( don't play mmo )

Definitely should have a toggle.
Halo gives a different feeling when is only on that platform. Also I don't see why would you play with a controller vs a mouse and keyboard... Reflexes a way higher on PC.

If you're playing against people using mouse and keyboard you're already at a big disadvantage. I definitely support the ability to block crossplay.

Definitely should have a toggle.
Halo gives a different feeling when is only on that platform. Also I don't see why would you play with a controller vs a mouse and keyboard... Reflexes a way higher on PC.
You would think that, but aim assist and Halo's performance issues on PC has things even if not favouring controller. What I'm saying is, kbm gamers are using controller instead. Plus it's Halo which has been a console game for so long, people don't mind using controller since that's how most have played it.

Some controller players in Warzone are also destroying kbm players. Again, aim assist is powerful, but sniping for example favours kbm. You'll hear some controller players call it out. It makes you kinda proud if you favour kbm.

Last edited:
Back