Halo Infinite has been delayed to 2021

Polycount

Staff
In brief: The Halo franchise's grand return, Halo Infinite, was initially set to arrive alongside the Xbox Series X this November. Unfortunately, it seems the game needs a bit more time in the oven: developer 343 Industries has announced that Halo Infinite's release date is being shifted to 2021.

343 says this decision has been made to ensure its developers have enough time to deliver a Halo game experience that meets their "vision."

Notably, this delay comes in the wake of widespread fan criticism regarding the design direction of Halo Infinite, its graphical fidelity, and its controversial looter-shooter elements. While we're not saying this criticism is the sole reason for the delay, it was likely a contributing factor.

Covid-19 has also caused problems for Halo Infinite's dev team, of course. 343 didn't elaborate on any of the complications it has faced as a result of the virus' spread, but we assume the shift to working from home has taken a toll on the game's development pace, as it has for most other studios.

Unfortunately, we don't know exactly when in 2021 Halo Infinite will be arriving. 343 hasn't provided a specific launch date yet, and it probably won't do so for at least a few more months.

As disappointing as this news is -- something 343 acknowledges -- most long-time Halo fans will likely be pleased to know that the studio is taking its time with Halo Infinite. If there's one thing gamers appreciate, it's a high-quality, stable launch day experience, and that's precisely what 343 is hoping to deliver after this delay.

Permalink to story.

I'll always support pushing back a game to polish it, even if it was meant to be an XSX launch title.

I wonder if that means that ray tracing will be in at launch, and a MP beta will be back on the table.....

They kinda had to do this, I mean, just look at it! What's that?! Like, What? How can you make a game running at 4k 60fps look so bad?!

I shouldn't complain too much otherwise we'll get just some pre-rendered rubbish like Ubisoft / EA likes to do but damn, it really didn't look "next gen" at all...

I ain't too big a fan of the remastered crap. I tried to justify the amount of games to money ratio, I also thought it would have some kind of match making for Co-op on all stories.
I was wrong. It was just some details added to walls and doors. Some Marines have beards.
Seriously when you are remastering a game aren't you thinking 2020 graphics... even games feel they have caught Corona. It's xbox 360 graphics IMO, I am not a happy chappy.
I can't see any options for online play co-op or otherwise and it just seems like a shambolic piece of crap so if thats anything to go by, I don't hold any hope for this new game.

What I do love is it has a button so you can see xbox original graphics, and then you press tab for disappointment graphics.

Good shout, I support this. I thought that reveal was sub-par, even "go away and watch the 4K stream", it looked like mid-tier current gen graphics.
Well done 343 for delaying.

Decision for the best. Games aren't all about the visuals but if you have a flagship title running on your flagship high end and no doubt expensive new hardware it better look at least mildly impressive.

This looked like an early Xbox One title. It was painful to see it compared to later stage Sony exclusives on PS4 which vastly surpassed nearly every quality of asset. 343 have an awful lot of work to do with this game overall, don't be surprised if we don't see much more of this game until spring 2021.

Because people think 4k is magical graphics fairy dust that has little to do with graphics quality at the end of the day.
Yep, I've said it for years now and I will continue to say it, 1440p is a sweet spot and we shouldn't be concentrating on high pixel counts but on actual graphical programming in games. I want to see better lighting, better textures, better physics and AI.

Plus with things like DLSS and AMD's equivalent, getting a "just as good" as native 4k from 1440p, it's not even necessary to make the game run at native 4k.

Might need to also rename it Hell-O ....... OK, that's lame, but it's the best I can do before breakfast!

Yep, I've said it for years now and I will continue to say it, 1440p is a sweet spot and we shouldn't be concentrating on high pixel counts but on actual graphical programming in games. I want to see better lighting, better textures, better physics and AI.

Plus with things like DLSS and AMD's equivalent, getting a "just as good" as native 4k from 1440p, it's not even necessary to make the game run at native 4k.
We have yet to see what AMD is doing, but hopefully it will also be available for PC and not just for consoles.

New consoles in general should just be pushed back. Half the games either wont be rdy or may look like last gen quality because no dev has had the time to do much with a pandemic. Ppl shouldn't be surprised by whats going on tho, its not as tho ppl didn't see this coming. Writing has been on the wall for awhile. Some studios will use this as a excuse whether they launch in Nov or after. Get ready for a lot of disappointment. Everyone should just get ready for 2021.

Back