Hard drive having problems writing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenjy

something is wrong with my drive lately. it all started one day when i got this message while booting my pc. "drive 1 on primary eide controller is operating outside of normal specifications". now i dont see this message anymore but when i write new files to that drive, they become corrupt.

i am using windows xp pro sp1 and its a wd 180 gig hdd.

Check in your BIOS for the settings of that drive. It should have LBA enabled.
Also, your BIOS might not be able to handle such a big drive (might go over the 1024 sector boundary), look for a BIOS-update from the motherboards manufacturer that may deal with this problem.

Please give us the make and exact model of your harddisk, its jumper-settings (master or slave or cable-select), as well as all the entries you find in your BIOS for that disk.

realblackstuff, model is WDC WD1800JB, its on cable select and ill check what the bios has to say.

nic, i already did that.

this is what the bios says

primary drive 1 .... hard drive

drive type ... auto
capacity ... 180 gb

realblackstuff, to answer your question. ive had this drive for over a year and it worked without any problems so its not the bios not being able to handle it. so instead of auto, it should be LBA?

You say drive 1 is giving the problems, do you have a drive 0 attached to the same cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back