Hardcore Disk Defraggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should try it on that shiny new 40GB you got.:D

If it doesn't work after that, you can always RMA it back.;)

I think not

I wouldn't recommend ANYONE try this unless you have access to a cleanroom .

All it takes is one tiny speck of dust on a platter and it can cause a head crash. This is not fun at all, ask me how I know this?

While I've had some success mucking inside HDDs, more times than not they never work again. I only mess inside ones which have died and are too old to RMA so I have nothing to lose but a few hours.

Re: Re: I think not

Originally posted by Phantasm66

I did your experiment......

:)

What experiment?

BTW, I'll try it, I have enough old HDDs lying around. Besides if I destroy it, that will just be one less thing cluttering up my already cluttered computer graveyard. I just wouldn't recommend anyone else do it.

Re: Re: Re: I think not

Originally posted by StormBringer

my already cluttered computer graveyard....

Hey I had a machine rise like a wraith from one of those and try to take over as head computer once!

Re: Re: Re: Re: I think not

Originally posted by Phantasm66

Hey I had a machine rise like a wraith from one of those and try to take over as head computer once!

Yeah static electricity can be a b**** can't it ? ;)

Once in a while you have to drive a stake in one, otherwise it is pretty peaceful until I decide to play Dr. Frankenstein.

heh I actually opened one up from a 486 computer, don't know if the harddrive works or not now but it was a learning experience.

9.jpg

Little dirty there...

Anyone who would try this with no First hand experience would be an ***** to do so with a good hard drive.

I hope it wasn't that dirty when you opened it up.

Learning is always good, if you have an old drive lying around, go ahead, pop it open and look around, disect it, go crazy, then put it back together and see if it works. If it does, feel lucky, if it doesn't you can always hang one of the platters from your rear-view mirror and blind oncoming traffic.

However, Dont try it with a new drive... That is just stupid.

I gave an old 170Mb Drive a transparent lid, and it still worked afterwards. I would try it on a bigger HD but can't afford to replace it if anything goes wrong.

looking for a kind person

are you a kind person? are you sure?

If you answer "yes" 3 times, let me borrow your harddrive to try it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back