Hardware suggestions to boost PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habylab

I have a Dell Dimension 3100, and am looking for ways to speed it up, hardware wise. I have all ready upgraded to 2gb of ram, 32mb cache 320gb hardrive. I also am using Windows 7, as I have found for me it is MUCH faster than XP. I haven't upgraded the CPU or Graphics card. If I upgrade the CPU, I think I have to upgrade the Graphics as well, as it is built in, I think??

I currently have an un-upgraded Celero 3.06Ghz and am on 32bit.

What's the next thing I should do?

The Celeron is your main problem. It is a major bottleneck in your system. For gaming, you would need a video card upgrade as well, but you can only use a PCI-E x1 card or a PCI card. I recommend a GeForce 6200 PCI card for all-around good performance, but the best possible PCI card right now is the 9400GT PCI.

I would not recommend upgrading that system for gaming though. A new system would be much better suited to that. You can replace the motherboard, CPU, video card and RAM for $300-400. The performance increase compared to upgrading your current system will be very significant.

The Celeron is your main problem. It is a major bottleneck in your system. For gaming, you would need a video card upgrade as well, but you can only use a PCI-E x1 card or a PCI card. I recommend a GeForce 6200 PCI card for all-around good performance, but the best possible PCI card right now is the 9400GT PCI.

I would not recommend upgrading that system for gaming though. A new system would be much better suited to that. You can replace the motherboard, CPU, video card and RAM for $300-400. The performance increase compared to upgrading your current system will be very significant.

I just want it to be slightly faster. What would you say I should upgrade then? Surely a graphics card wont improve performance? In games as well, it won't, as a graphics card is about the quality of the graphics.

Actually graphic cards does improve performance in games. Loading screen for some games are faster the game runs more smoothly. It also affects Frames Per Second which if it is low it would seem like you were lagging or you game runs very slowly. Also I think you have an integrated which are actually awful compared to most GPUs.

could try this
case-Antec Three Hundred $58.95 Free Shipping
CPU-AMD Athlon X2 7850 BE $69.00 Free Shipping
MB-GIGABYTE GA-MA770-UD3 AM2+ $69.99 ($59.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate
Video card-SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4830 512MB $89.99 ($79.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate Free Shipping
PSU-Antec Basiq BP430 430W $49.99 Free Shipping
and the total is $337.92 thats before rebates and this will be a huge upgrade over your current system.
also the reason for the case is you can't use the dell case with reg atx motherboards so you will have to switch it.
sorry i forgot to add ram what is the ram in your current system?

2gb of ram currently. I cant expand it apparently, as it can only take 1gb per slot.

Do they deliver to the Uk, new egg?

Also, wasn't looking to spend that much money. Maybe just one of those items?

I do what was in that link everyday practically!!!

Looking to upgrade my Processor now. If I can upgrade that so it handles more games with less lag, then I will upgrade the graphics next, as that doesn't help with lag. So, what would be the best option to upgrade my CPU??

Processor suggestions, if possible?? If not will just go for the graphics card next month probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back