Have odd problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghia01

The problem i'm having is when I right click on my desktop all that comes up is my themes for my desktop. I've lost all options for screen savers, display options for setting my video colors etc. I'm running XP Home, upgraded a couple a years ago from 98. Dam computer keeps going into hibernation I have no way to control it. Help!!! thanks again for any help.

You can't open display options in the Control Panel either? Have you scanned your computer for virus and spyware? When you upgraded to XP, did you install XP over your 98, or did you do a fresh install of XP?

Exactly can't even pull it up on control panel either, XP was installed 2 yrs ago as an upgrade (Home Edition is what i'm using) all it ever gives as an option is Themes for my desktop. Have always had antivirus running and spyware is also taken care of daily. The system is clean. There is no tabs on Display properties for Desktop, Screensaver,Appearence, or Settings just themes.

Ok, go into C:/Windows/System32/and find this file desk.cpl and double click on it to see if you get the full Display Panel, and if you do, r-click that file, select send to desktop (create shortcut). If you have your XP disk, go to Start/Run/type in sfc /scannow (space after sfc) and see if it will restore that file, if not, then you may need to do a repair install. You might be able to extract that file from your XP CD, and copy it to this folder C:/Windows.Ststem32/.

Well just looked into my C drive I have no system 32 folder? Went to other computer its there but in this computer I don't have any system 32 files?

ghia01 said:
Exactly can't even pull it up on control panel either, XP was installed 2 yrs ago as an upgrade (Home Edition is what i'm using) all it ever gives as an option is Themes for my desktop. Have always had antivirus running and spyware is also taken care of daily. The system is clean. There is no tabs on Display properties for Desktop, Screensaver,Appearence, or Settings just themes.

ANTIVIRUS COVERED..... GOOD! SPYWARE????? Do you have good spyware software?? I can recommend a few good and best FREE ones if you dont use them. If you dont, you will be AMAZED at what they will find. You should be able to get them at www.download.com

Spybot, search and destroy
Adaware SE personal
Kasperky antispyware

I also HIGHLY recommend spending the money, cause you wont get it free anywhere, even from Kazaa or Limewire. They are all corrupt is a program called

Spyware Doctor. Top rated, and comes with many many real-time tools to keep you protected.
www.pctools.com

Good Luck

ghia01 said:

Also, just for reference..Ive learned that "upgrading" to a new OS is way worse than doing a fresh Install, but no turning back now. If you cant solve the issue, or have ALL spyware removed and If you still have the XP CD that you used to upgrade with and the key, let me know and I can help you fix your seemngly corrupt XP.

ghia01 said:
Well just looked into my C drive I have no system 32 folder? Went to other computer its there but in this computer I don't have any system 32 files?

I'm sorry, I mistyped my last reply, it should be in C:/Windows/System32/desk.cpl

Already using a legal copy, paid for Spyware Doctor, also using Ad-Aware for years. Using CA antivirus paid for, still believe me there is no windows/system32 folder. Will see if I can find old XP Home Edition upgrade cd. Thanks again

It sounds like, when you upgraded to XP, you just loaded it over win98, which can cause some nagging problems, such as what you're experiencing now.

What I would have done, get my win98 CD close at hand, then zero out the hard drive (low level format), then install the win XP upgrade CD, where it would ask you to put the win 98 CD, in the computer, just to prove you are doing an upgrade, but would not install any 98 files, once completed, you would have a nice clean XP install.

Maybe look in C:/Windows/System/Desk.cpl

ghia01 said:
Already using a legal copy, paid for Spyware Doctor, also using Ad-Aware for years. Using CA antivirus paid for, still believe me there is no windows/system32 folder. Will see if I can find old XP Home Edition upgrade cd. Thanks again

Hey..morning..I just replied to the email you sent me.. Let me know how it goes on the board also.

Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back