Have two XP OS on C drive and having trouble trying to delete one

This is my first post and hope someone can help me. I have two Windows Home Edition XP OS on my computer both located on C drive. A while back I tried to re-install windows and apparently mistakenly installed Windows XP a second time. For this computer, a floppy disk came with the system that was for system recovery. I tried to use it but got a message saying that there is an invalid partition on it. When I talked to the company's tech support, I was told it was probably corrupt. I paid to have a Windows CD recovery disc sent which is what I then used. The difference is that with the floppy recovery disc, the computer would have been reset to the company's factory settings - with all of their pre-installed programs. With the Windows CD recovery disc, it just installs Windows XP and nothing else.

I did some searching on the internet on how to remove one XP OS when there are two. What I found was to start the computer and choose the OS you want to keep. Then to find the Windows file you want to delete. To do this, I searched the C Drive and found the folder. It is named "Windows.OS". The one I want to keep is named "Windows". Following the instructions of what I found, I then right-clicked on the Windows.OS folder and tried to delete. A few seconds later, I get a message that says something like, "cannot delete flashlle.ocx; make sure file is not in use or is not protected".

Since that time, I have been looking for a way to delete that file. From what I have found this is part of the Adobe flash player. If I understand correctly, this file loads up when the computer starts and thus is in use. Does any one know of a way I can delete this file? Also, if someone could give me direction on my ultimate goal of removing the second XP OS I would appreciate it.

Why don't you just delete the partitions using the XP install disk and format the whole drive and install XP fresh?

You can prevent flash loading at boot time in at least two ways - the easiest is to uninstall it.....from the windows.OS version that is.

That will not be the only thing that starts with windows. In most cases, the better option is to start windows in safe mode (Tap away at F8 as the PC boots). This starts far less software and so you can delete more, but the ultimate way is to not have anything running from your HDD at all. To achieve this, either take the HDD out and mount it in another PC in place of an optical drive, or ask a techie friend to create a bootable CD like Ultimate boot CD for windows (BCD4Win) or any of many Linux live-CD boots.

Back