Having problem with my new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok i purchased a new hard drive for my compaq presario cq60 260us laptop. it originally came with a 160 gig hd. i got a 500gb. i formatted and used norton ghost to copy the 160 to the 500. the first time i did it i forgot to copy the master boot record. so i reformatted and recopied with the mbr. now when i put my 500 gig in the laptop it doesnt read. it comes up with the diagnostic screen were i can push f10 to get to bios and what not. then it goes to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left hand corner. so i tried to put my old 160 gig in and it does the same thing. i did a primary hard disk self test on the 500 gig. the quick test passed but the comprehensive failed about 80 percent into the test with a #2- 07 message. what does this mean? Is my hard drive dead?

hey ksith

Can you please give us detail on what operating system you're using (XP, Vista, Linux etc.).

Spyder_1386 :)

Did you ghost the operating system as well or just your programs etc. ? Is the drive partitioned - is the operating system on a separate partition to the programs etc?

Spyder_1386 :)

yes i ghosted the os. the first time i did it i forgot the master boot record. but then when i reformatted and reghosted i included that. and no its all on one partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back