Having screen go entirely black

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roarkestratton

I'll preface this with the fact that I'm an ***** and really need help. :(

My computer decided to just go to a black screen (no mouse present at all) and won't do anything after that.

In addition to that, the logon screen will disappear after maybe 10-15 seconds and then just go to a black screen. It'll say loading personalized settings, not ask for my password, and then going right to the black screen after a few seconds. I can boot from safe mode, but it'll do something similar with the logon screen. The logon screen will pop up, then go black for a few seconds...and then safe mode will finally boot.

Any ideas on what I could do to fix this? Wiping the drive would be an absolute last resort...My master's thesis is on the computer and I need it.

Addtl info:
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Toshiba Satellite

We need to know a little bit more about your Toshiba model, age and configuration.
It sounds as if your Inverter has gone dead... a common problem with certain Toshiba Satellites....

Satellite A105-S4324

Windows® XP Media Center Edition, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5200,
1536MB DDR2, 160GB 4200rpm SATA, DVD SuperMulti (+/- R double layer), 15.4”
TruBrite™ (WXGA), Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Intel® PRO/Wireless
3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)

It's about two years old. It was working fine until this morning. What exactly is the inverter/what does it do?

This could also point to data corruption and /or infection!

How many users (accounts) on this installation?
Once in the black screen, can you do Ctrl + Alt + Delete to bring up the Task Manager, then from the File Menu, you can attempt to run a new task explorer.exe which is basically your Desktop. Do you get your Desktop?

For each user, after logon, the userinit runs based on that user's profile then the explorer.exe loads giving that user his or her customized Desktop.

If these files are corrupted or system has infection, you get no Desktop, sometimes after cleaning some malware, since some use the explorer.exe, this file is either replaced or the entry in the Registry still points to the "virus" therefore not able to load the "Desktop"

You might want to post at the Virus & Malware removal Forum

https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back