HBO drops the first full-length trailer for Fahrenheit 451

Shawn Knight

Staff member

HBO announced last summer that it was developing a movie based on Ray Bradbury’s classic dystopian novel, Fahrenheit 451. The network dropped a teaser for the flick last month and now, we’ve got a proper trailer to salivate over.

A staple you probably read in grade school, Fahrenheit 451 was originally published in 1953. It is set in a future where “media is an opiate” and “firemen” are tasked with finding and burning books to suppress the ideas within. “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. News. Fact. Memoirs. Internet of old. Burn it,” says protagonist Guy Montag’s mentor, Captain Beatty.

Fahrenheit 451 is set to premiere on HBO in May.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmmmm .... it might be OK but I have a feeling this is one remake that just won't measure up to the original movie ... or to the book for that matter.

Seems silly

Considering books are already becoming irrelevant as a source of knowledge, you're right. Some of us are old enough to remember going to the library and doing a research paper using the encyclopedias. Nowadays that's gone. I wonder why they made the movie though... But HBO does good stuff... and it's a good book, so I'd bet it'll be a good movie.

Considering books are already becoming irrelevant as a source of knowledge, you're right. Some of us are old enough to remember going to the library and doing a research paper using the encyclopedias. Nowadays that's gone.

I think they could use that to their advantage though. If all media were digital in this dystopian future, it could easily be manipulated by external forces. It's not that easy to do that with books though. So only the radicals would have the original information in books, since every digital copy could be censored and manipulated. It's been awhile since I read the book, but I would think they could make this somewhat plausible.

If this movie is done honestly, right, and without bias, it'll serve as a reminder warning for us all.

We're already seeing various libraries, schools, and bookstores ban books they find 'offensive', social media manipulate/distort/not report actual news and ban posts or videos for political reasons, significant people who alter or delete their postings when they get flamed for saying something unpopular, and various MSM news outlets alter titles & body of their articles, after they're already published and without notation.

We're already in the midst of our digital information & news being censored, changed, and manipulated for political and misinformation reasons, to either keep people ignorant, or because someone finds something 'offensive', or a myriad of other reasons.

Print, though becoming outdated in the ocean of the Internet information age, can still serve as the bedrock of what can't be altered...as long as they're not eventually burned or taken away from us.

Back