HD 5970 graphical distortion

So I have a problem. I´ve been using my PC for 2.5 years now and couple of months ago I started having graphic bugs. At the beginning it was just ocasional bug but it started becoming more and more often until one day it went completely crazy. Adding a screen-shot so you would understand what im talking about. Every time I turned on any game or even aero theme in windows it would start showing bugs, games were lagging and running FurMark stress test would result in blue screen.

So I send it to shop I bought it from because my warranty was for 3years and they told me that it was drivers problem(even tho I havent changed drivers when it started happening and later I tried to format my PC and reinstal all drivers it would still keep showing graphic bugs)

Well anyway. The problem is that even though everything works now. Games run fine (no lags), FurMark test runs fine, 3DMark gives relatively good scores compared to people having similiar systems. But I noticed that when playing games ocasionaly there are still some graphic bugs popping up (like a spike of graphic that was not supposed to be there... Pretty much like in the screenshot but just in smaller scale)

So can someone tell me is there a real problem in the card or is it just ocasional bugs that I shouldn´t worry about? The warranty for the card ends in a month or two and I really don´t want to have the same problem come up again when the warranty is over. Thank you very much for your help.

I´m using windows 7 (32bit), MSI Afterburner for fan control (no overclock), DirectX 11. Catalyst version 12.8.
CPU - I5 -750
Motherboard - Gigabyte P55-UD3

http://postimage.org/image/qg5fl9b7v/ - Screen shot of the bug

Do you have another machine to test this card in? That would narrow it down to either the card or something else on your system.

I'd double check afterburner and make sure you have nothing overclocked and I'd try a newer video driver. I'm sure the game you're playing has been updated since the your original driver was installed.

Note 1: create a system restore point before doing this just in case something goes wrong.
note 2: maybe wait until 12.9 stable comes out to try this, so that you do not have to repeat this:
Formatting you HDD should have resolved a driver issue but this is what you could try also: Perform a completely clean install, follow carefully: go to add or remove programs, and search for amd. when you see catalyst install manager, click that and uninstall it. chose the express uninstall option. after this is complete, type into windows search, folder options, go to view, and under hidden files and folders, check the box that says "show hidden files". then go to you primary hard drive in my computer, and then find any ATI and AMD folders, delete them, and reboot. then download the driver of choice, the stable is 12.8, but 12.9 is unstable considering it is in beta. I would just wait for 12.9 to go stable and then try this, or just try 12.8 and repeat this process. install the driver and what other what not it wants, like CCC and such. and then download application profiles:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

you should be all set now, just go in game and reset default settings for video so that it can optimize itself for the new configuration. hope this helps :D best of luck!!! if this doesnt work, then it is a hardware problem, so I would call them and ask for something else since you still have a warranty

Back