HD partition dilema

Status
Not open for further replies.

t1z

Hello everyone,
I am going to try an be as thourough as possible explaining what just happened to my 80g hd that had 50g of rather important data on it. It all began when I got the idea to install ubuntu linux on my computer after not using it for several years. I booted from the dvd that came with a book that I purchased and proceeded to run the GUI install program. Everything went great until I got to the partitioning portion of the install. I had not partitioned any drive since around the time of RedHat 5.0 or something similar. The interface was quite different from what I remembered from years back.
I chose the option to manually edit the partition table. On the next screen I was given the choice of selecting which HD to partition. I chose my 80g becuse I had about 25g of free space. I then chose the option to resize the current partition to that to 65g leaving 15g total for linux. Next, I created a new ext2 partition of 14.5g from the unallocated space for my root "/" directory. After the root directory I created a linux-swap from the rest of the unallocated space which was 500mb. When I had that all done I hit creat partition/s and the installer did some work and took me to the next portion of the install process.
This next portion of the install process is where you select which partitions are for your linux-swap and your ext2. There was a drop-down menu next to linux-swap and ext2 to pick which partition to use. I scrolled through the list and only saw my 34g windows HD, cd-rom drive, dvd-rom drive, and 80g HD. I was pretty worried to see that the 80g HD didn't seem to be partition the way I had planned, so I chose to quit the install process where I was and reboot to windows so I could ask some friends on IRC what had went wrong.
My friends were no longer on IRC just like how my 80g HD with several windows games, apps, family pics, music, etc was no longer in My Computer. So...my question is, is there anyway to reverse the actions that I took in the firstplace and get my data back or is it gone for good. Any help is much appreciated, even if you simply tell me that its all gone and I can start reloading all of my software.

Thanks and sorry for the super long post :)

Ouch :)
Depends on what exactly failed during the Ubuntu install..
If it was the partition table that was broken, then all your data is intact and you can use some partition recovery utility to scan your disk for partitions and recreate the partition table.
If Something Bad happened in the middle of the filesystem resizing process, then you are screwed. The filesystem structures are probably FUBAR. Your only hope is data recovery software that is hopefully capable of retrieving some of your data.

Ok....new questions...
I downloaded and ran the program GetDataBack for NTFS and it was able to see all the files on the HD. However, I have to have room on some other source of storage and copy the files from the messed up HD to. I only have 7g free on my other HD and was wondering if there was a way to set my messed up HD back to Z:/ like how it used to be, so that I don't have to re-install all sorts of programs.

GetDataBack is a file recovery utility, not a partition recovery utility. And no decent file utility will let you write to the drive under recovery.

If you want to get the entire drive working again, you have to restore the partition table.

Is that an easy task to accomplish and if so, how would i go about doing it? I really appreciate the help!!!

Hum.. Find a partition recovery program. A quick Google gives me some Active@ Partition Recovery thing that doesn't even cost you an arm and a leg.

Try the demo version first and see if it finds your lost partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back